When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed hub question

-

Big Moe

I live for the CABE
I'm in need of some help. I have a bendix 2 speed aviation hub that I'd like to put into a wider rim than the s 7 rim it currently is in. Is there going to be a problem with tire width interference on the chain?

What frame? 2.3 might be tight! I’ve found the tire diameter can be a problem too. With the right(wrong) combination, sometimes the wheel will be to far forward and the tire can rub the frame.
image.jpg

Here are 650x2.4’s on a pre war Schwinn. Not much room! One issue here is the inch pitch chain. You can’t use half links with them so it gets tricky sometimes. With half inch pitch you have a lot more options like half links and more ring size choices.

I can’t see 2.125’s being a problem. But only one way to find out...

I built up wheels with that hub, Sun Rhino Lites and 2.125 Typhoons installed on a Schwinn middle weight frame and had no issues.

Last edited:
It's a late 30s Elgin twin. And I'm already planning to use a 1/2 pitch chain. Have to with the 2 speed hub.

Back