When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Speed kickback help needed

-

Floyd

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_6517.JPG
I've looked at several parts breakdowns that show I should have serrated washer that faces against this end. What the pics aren't showing is what the inside of that washer looks like. Is it just serrated or does it have protrusions that fit into the slots of the center thingy?

Hi Floyd are you planning on putting this on a daily rider? I had one of these on my Hex tube. It was a real pain in the ass. For a daily rider I would recommend the one that has a shift lever mounted to the handlebars. I believe it is called a manual shifter.

Hi Floyd are you planning on putting this on a daily rider? I had one of these on my Hex tube. It was a real pain in the ass. For a daily rider I would recommend the one that has a shift lever mounted to the handlebars. I believe it is called a manual shifter.

Just as a balancing point, I vastly prefer the kickback hub over the manual 2 speed hub. I've gotten to the point where I can shift it without even thinking about it. It's true that you will have to do a double back pedal occasionally with the kickback and if you're doing slow riding like at a flea market where you are stopping and starting a lot, you probably don't want a kickback. But for most normal riding it works pretty good and I like not having to have to do anything with my hands except hold the handlebars. It's all in your personal preference.

View attachment 477756 I've looked at several parts breakdowns that show I should have serrated washer that faces against this end. What the pics aren't showing is what the inside of that washer looks like. Is it just serrated or does it have protrusions that fit into the slots of the center thingy?

I'm sure you can find the serrated washers on here, they are all over eBay. The center thingy is a lock nut and the slots are for a special tool to tighten or remove it. (yours looks loose already) I'm sure if you are having trouble using it would be no problem selling here. So simple to use.

I'm sure you can find the serrated washers on here, they are all over eBay. The center thingy is a lock nut and the slots are for a special tool to tighten or remove it. (yours looks loose already) I'm sure if you are having trouble using it would be no problem selling here. So simple to use.

You can sacrifice a socket and rind away the sides so that you end up with two tangs sticking out to fit snug into the slots of the locknut in the picture. Then you can grind two flat sides on the other side where the square drive is. Use the flats either in a vice or with a wrench to loosen that pesky lock nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back