When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed kickbacks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Red bands are early ‘60-64. They have superior braking but the axle isn’t threaded all the way so if it stops working the only way to pull it apart is to cut the axle. Top gear is 1:1, low gear is a granny hill climber gear (I can’t remember the exact number). They were for 26” wheel bikes. 18t as I remember. 36 hole.
Yellow band came out in ‘65. Same gearing but has inferior drum braking.
Blue band hubs were for 20” bikes. Same design as the yellow band. Uses a 20t cog and has a 1:1 low gear and a 1.5:1 overdrive (remember, for 20” bikes). 28 hole. You can put blue gears in a yellow shell for a big overdrive on a 26” bike. But the brakes still suck. That’s what I did here.

Red bands are early ‘60-64. They have superior braking but the axle isn’t threaded all the way so if it stops working the only way to pull it apart is to cut the axle. Top gear is 1:1, low gear is a granny hill climber gear (I can’t remember the exact number). They were for 26” wheel bikes. 18t as I remember. 36 hole.
Blue band hubs were for 20” bikes. Same design as the yellow band. Uses a 20t cog and has a 1:1 low gear and a 1.5:1 overdrive (remember, for 20” bikes). 28 hole. You can put blue gears in a yellow shell for a big overdrive on a 26” bike. But the brakes still suck. That’s what I did here.
View attachment 1093761
Nice bike,and thanks for the info.

Reactions: GTV
View attachment 1093761
I just picked up a Yellow band two speed and don't have any knowledge of the inner workings. So are their any special tools i need to work on one ? Thanks. Ride On. Razin.

Not sure I understand this. In what way would it stop working that you couldn't take it apart normally? Cut where?

It’s been a few years since I’ve been inside of one but it goes like this... when it stops shifting it will get stuck in one gear (sorry i can’t remember if it is high or low but it is always the same one). In order to disassemble the unit it needs to be needs to be shifted into the other gear. The yellow/blue axles are threaded all the way through so if they stop shifting it’s no big deal, just thread it apart. The red band axle has a gap in the middle, only threaded on the ends so you can’t just unscrew it apart, you have to cut the axle.
Sorry I can’t add more detail, like I said it’s been a few years. It’s also a little difficult to explain. Pull one apart and you’ll see what I mean.

I just picked up a Yellow band two speed and don't have any knowledge of the inner workings. So are their any special tools i need to work on one ? Thanks. Ride On. Razin.

Some are a little sticky and need a special wrench to help disassemble but not always.

My red band was stuck in one gear and vintage bike shop pulled it apart and fixed it without cutting anything, $30! Noticed red band's make lot's of noise in first gear, yellow bands are way less noisy and seems to work better! Had a few of each, just my experience with them, great fun to ride with one, any color!!!

I have a couple of them, always a bit of a mystery. I'm having shifting problems w/ a yellow band right now. Haven't had problems taking the Red bands apart, difficult to explain but a big part seems to be twisting the sprocket out at the right time. I see what you mean about the breaks in the threads. I like them both, undecided on which is better.

fullsizeoutput_bd3.jpeg

Back