When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Speed Two Chain Panther Iii

-
What Balloonatic is describing sounds like an aftermarket invention that never took off. There is bound to be a way to do it with a sprung clutch, similar to the current SRAM automatic choosing between inner and annular drive shafts, letting the disengaged shaft freewheel.

Read thru all of this... difference between Bendix Automatic single drive sprocket and this two sprocket rear end is that the Bendix used Sun and Planetary gear set. A sliding rear sprocket was in play in the 30s when when the suicide shifter was in vogue; that, had an internal drive change. As an old fart looses strength with age; [me], I'm concerned that you start out in a High gear [hard pump and max speed] and the shift re-gresses you to a lower gear [easy pump but slower speed out-put] as you PROGRESS??? We need names of manufacture for rear Hub and off brake arm... Those we can Google.

GT58 gave you some good knowledge... Your plastic starburst badge is just plain broken; and, he has good eyes to spot it under the dual lamps.

I too want to know the function of the 'Beam Clamp' attached to handle bars...

HERE's why the later reflector pedals were installed... [similar to, and maybe even a Ralph Nader thing] In the mid 1970s, safety laws were enacted that REQUIRED bicycle shops to cease sales of pedals without reflectors; and, new bicycles yet undelivered @ a certain date had to have pedals with reflectors. pappy

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't cross this stuff out... And, I work long and hard to peck it out! Appears I'm over my letter quota for this month; or, I said something politically incorrect and horribly offensive! Forgive me , PLEASE.

You said nothing offensive juanitasmith13, at least to me, your comments are appreciated, and your analysis on the pedals makes perfect sense. It's quite possible the shop updated the pedals as the bike was unsold stock and if they sold it they wanted to be in compliance... or maybe the shop owner simply liked the reflector pedals and put them on there. Same with the rack, it was his product to sell and set up as he pleased. We'll never know why the bike has those pedals or rack or two-speed chain set up, we only know that it came from an authorized Schwinn dealer that way.

GTs58; a Bendix two-speed kick back is similar, but is not automatic as this two-chain set up appears to be; the Bendix requires you to manually kick the crank backwards in order to change gears. As I understood the owner, this bike changes from high to low gear automatically without the rider having to do anything, except pedal as you normally would, and downshifts back to high gear when you brake/stop. That's like comparing how wristwatches were manually wound when the idea for self-winding watches appeared... before the self-winding or "automatic" wrist watch came out, the user had to manually wind his watch everyday. Before this automatic shifting two-speed, you had to manually kick back the Bendix. Big difference.

i.d. like to know where this going,.....no way schwinn made this bike with those chain rings, rack, or pedals. 0% chance. It certainly makes it less valuable than a original, its not for sale to the OP or anyone else...whats the point here? Im more than curious.

If you were paying attention you'd see there have been no claims whatsoever that Schwinn made those chain rings or set up... in fact just the opposite. Both the owner and I are certain it's an aftermarket accessory. The whole reason for this post is to share this oddity with the CABE community and see if anyone has any insight on it because we have no clue. I will get over there soon and gather more information, but presented the info I had in hopes someone might recognize this unusual set up. The point here, CrazyDave, is quite simple - to share something interesting and unique with other vintage bike enthusiasts, and gain their insight in hopes of understanding it better. By sharing unique things and information, now you know it exists, and maybe you will find one yourself someday.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have tried to make my opinion clear here that to me, since this bike came from an authorized Schwinn dealer with what many seem to be saying are "incorrect" rack, pedals and damaged/altered head badge (and this very unusual two-chain gear set up) that those variations make this bike unique and more valuable rather than less. It's contrary to say these features make the bike less valuable and appealing, yet say you'd love to know where it is so you can buy it.

I'm strictly presenting facts I have gathered here to share and enlighten, and possibly gain insight.

Even with the owner's claim of a true two speed automatic shift, I don't believe it.

You are welcome to reject facts, that's your right, but it doesn't advance the conversation, it only stops it in its tracks.

f you were paying attention you'd see there have been no claims whatsoever that Schwinn made those chain rings or set up... in fact just the opposite. Both the owner and I are certain it's an aftermarket accessory. The whole reason for this post is to share this oddity with the CABE community and see if anyone has any insight on it because we have no clue. I will get over there soon and gather more information, but presented the info I had in hopes someone might recognize this unusual set up. The point here, CrazyDave, is quite simple - to share something interesting and unique with other vintage bike enthusiasts, and gain their insight in hopes of understanding it better. By sharing unique things and information, now you know it exists, and maybe you will find one yourself someday.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have tried to make my opinion clear here that to me, since this bike came from an authorized Schwinn dealer with what many seem to be saying are "incorrect" rack, pedals and damaged/altered head badge (and this very unusual two-chain gear set up) that those variations make this bike unique and more valuable rather than less. It's contrary to say these features make the bike less valuable and appealing, yet say you'd love to know where it is so you can buy it.

Kudos!

I'm being positive! I just wanna know wtf is up with the rwo chains!

Who cares if it has a different rack, busted headbadge, and a weird block mount on the bars (which also has no bottom clamp to hold it on.)

I just wanna know how this friggen bike rides. ..!

The guy told me his first hand experience riding the bike... and I have no reason to doubt what he said:

OK, so I talked to the owner on the Panther III, and indeed he rode that bike one time, and it shifts as we suspected.... automatically with the pressure on the pedals! So it starts out in high gear, and as you pedal and pick up speed, it automatically shifts into a lower gear. When you brake, it shifts back to high gear again automatically. What a cool set up!

Hopefully when I see it in person this weekend or early next week, I'll get a chance to ride it myself and report back here. From what he said there seems to be a simple apparatus inside the hub that with pressure (or achievement of a certain RPM) switches back and forth between the two rear cogs. Just from the photos the ratio between the outside and inside gear sets seems pretty great, so maybe it's like starting off in "granny" gear and pretty quickly switches into low... sort of like a 60s Ford two-speed automatic transmission, or the Chevy cast iron 2 speed powerglide... but we just won't know until I get to see it in person.

Hopefully when I see it in person this weekend or early next week, I'll get a chance to ride it myself and report back here. From what he said there seems to be a simple apparatus inside the hub that with pressure (or achievement of a certain RPM) switches back and forth between the two rear cogs. Just from the photos the ratio between the outside and inside gear sets seems pretty great, so maybe it's like starting off in "granny" gear and pretty quickly switches into low... sort of like a 60s Ford two-speed automatic transmission, or the Chevy cast iron 2 speed powerglide... but we just won't know until I get to see it in person.
So it has a hydraulic pump, this keeps getting more idiotic..........have you ever even seen the insides of a automatic transmission?! I wont get to see the end of this story, thank god for the ignore button.

Back