When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20" Balloon Tire Spitfire- Any advice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinning

Finally riding a big boys bike
Should this bike have truss rods or a tank?
Does anyone know how much one would sell this for?
Bike has all original parts, chain guard reads spitfire, balloon tires, believe it is a 1954.

Any information will help.

Thanks

Attachments

• sp20.jpg
    sp20.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 151
  • sp20i.jpg
    sp20i.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20s.jpg
    20s.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 89
It doesn't appear to have had either.... It l@@ks wonderful as it sits...I wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited:
Would truss rods for a 20" girls bike also work on this bike? I'm thinking of adding some, but I am pretty sure this bike did not come with them or a tank from the research I've gathered.
Any opinions welcome.
Thanks

Truss rods

Would truss rods for a 20" girls bike also work on this bike? I'm thinking of adding some, but I am pretty sure this bike did not come with them or a tank from the research I've gathered.
Any opinions welcome.
Thanks

When I needed rods they where very pricey and hard to find, "not all 20's had rods but on higher end models" and usually poor condition. Girls rods have to be cut down and re bent. I would not destroy a nice set of girls rods, Electra has some that I have cut down and reshaped and crimped, plus they are cheaper than rusted originals. You can also use 26 schwinn rods the same way.

When I needed rods they where very pricey and hard to find, "not all 20's had rods but on higher end models" and usually poor condition. Girls rods have to be cut down and re bent. I would not destroy a nice set of girls rods, Electra has some that I have cut down and reshaped and crimped, plus they are cheaper than rusted originals. You can also use 26 schwinn rods the same way.

Thanks for the info. Bummer girls 20" rods won't work on my bike. My neighbor has an old 20" girls schwinn with rods and they are in nice shape. I would buy the bike if the rods worked :(
I guess I should leave the bike as is. :)

Spits

The spitfire was a more basic model. No built in kickstand is one give away. Also single brace in the rear is typical. No painted tips on the fenders too. A tank would fit but are pricey and truss rods would fit too and would give it a tougher look. Rods are not that hard to find but might take time. Any truss rods can be cut and bent. I have a nice 20" green girls with a tank and truss rods if you want a matching pair. I sold my boys....

Free

Free
I have some Schwinn 20” rods and the clip that might fit. Need to be straightened a little and some spray paint removed.

Back