When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20 Pre war Sturmey AW hub.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
A gent in California parted a 1940 Schwinn that was equipped with this hub, and not something he needed. The hub is correctly marked for a 1940 hub, with just the zero, representing 1940. Great price, but, he advised it was seized up. Well, it was, but, that isn’t a huge deal to me. It was a 36 hole hub, and I needed one for a project.
I dismantled it, soaked everything in dirty solvent overnight, to cut whatever oil or grease was in it, glass beaded the worst of the rust and corrosion off the inside parts, followed by a soak in clean solvent, and a light polish with a wire wheel. Then, I decided what needed to be replaced, the parts on the left side of the photo were pretty much all junk, had to dig a few out of one of my hub parts coffee cans, and then built it back up. I had a spare sprocket for a threaded driver, and, I have no idea where it came from, but, it was a good thing, as the original 18 tooth came off hard. The replacement is a 20 tooth, my preferred number for an AW. I use hybrid lubrication on my Sturmey hubs, synthetic grease on the bearings, and a blend of ATF and synthetic motor oil everywhere else. This one looks great and runs smooth.
$20 for a pre war AW is something I’ll do everyday.

8E72B09F-29E7-4284-BAF0-EB41CC88C42E.jpeg

852E0D8A-5D16-4964-BF80-626BDCAA34BD.jpeg

80073D61-5DBC-40A9-899C-533EC1B2A4D1.jpeg

F62EDC52-5E40-4343-9CAC-EC330489BF9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news! I missed your post. You are a lot more handy and patient than I am. Of course if spare parts are on the shelf than how can it get better? Looks nice! It was too good to toss.

The bike was not parted. I put on an excellent set of VERY low mile Schwinn wheels with S6 rims to deal with the tire availability.
The rest of it was left totally original. With the newer wheelset it rides beautifully. Went to a new home and new owner is in love with it!
I guess everyone is happy. What are you going to run it on?

I stand corrected, kinda. ONE piece was parted (to me).

I have a pair of NOS Dunlap 28” rims, from the 1950s. Originally, they both would have been front rims on a Roadster, but, they will build up into a nice set of wheels, front and rear, for a Roadster, with 36 spokes front and back. 28” Roadster wheels are tough to score.

Just need the spokes, now.

Thanks!
Ted

Sounds like an interesting project! Post some pictures when everything is laced. Have fun!

Back