When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20' Royce Union garage sale find

-
This was my 1st bike 1967 had training wheels, chrome head light, and fringes off the handle bars. after the training wheels came off the bike was super fast. as i got older i did modifications, removed tank, fenders. extended the forks, pipe handlebar, banana seat. It was the 70"s. wish i still had it.

I've been riding banana seat bikes since I was a little girl, so when I heard from my grandfather that he found an old vintage 20s Royce union banana seat bike in his brothers garage never used I was very excited! I got my Royce serviced and she's working great may need a few adjustments but like you all I could not find any info on this bike. I did however find a brand name NANKAI imprinted on the bike makes me think Japanese hope this helps :)

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

I know all about this bike
I had one
It was my first bike in the early 1960’s
Was bought at time square stores
On Coney Island ave Brooklyn
By my aunt
Learned how to ride a bike on it
Had it for ever until 1970’s

View attachment 93985View attachment 93984

I picked up this cool little 20' Royce Union bike today and would like to know more about it. I did the usual Google search but came up with nothing. I always thought they were English bikes because of the style. And from what ive read, thats the look they were going for. It kind of reminds me of a Hopalong Cassidy bike.
Hey, I just stumbled upon this post. It is certainly cool. I have some interesting news for you. OMG, that bike, the one in the picture, the one with the tiger handlebar grips, That was MY bike in the mid 1960s. Specifically that one. It was given to me by my Uncle Charles. I personally put those tiger grips on it (traded them from a friend who had gotten them with his paper route money (from Brian Kovach). Can't be another one with those rare novelty grips. I learned to ride on it. I rode it all over my town (Hartland, Wisconsin, then later Woodstock, IL) for many years until I was older and got a Schwinn "Heavy Duty" for paper route purpose. That original white wall rear tire is bald to the cord, I'm sure, from me and my buddies practicing brake-lock "skids" all the time. Bike does wheelies really well too. The back of that fender is scraped from popping wheelies and hopping off holding the bars. Quite moving to stumble upon my old bike from childhood. I'm Robert Payton. I was born in 1959. Delighted.

Hey, I just stumbled upon this post. It is certainly cool. I have some interesting news for you. OMG, that bike, the one in the picture, the one with the tiger handlebar grips, That was MY bike in the mid 1960s. Specifically that one. It was given to me by my Uncle Charles. I personally put those tiger grips on it (traded them from a friend who had gotten them with his paper route money (from Brian Kovach). Can't be another one with those rare novelty grips. I learned to ride on it. I rode it all over my town (Hartland, Wisconsin, then later Woodstock, IL) for many years until I was older and got a Schwinn "Heavy Duty" for paper route purpose. That original white wall rear tire is bald to the cord, I'm sure, from me and my buddies practicing brake-lock "skids" all the time. Bike does wheelies really well too. The back of that fender is scraped from popping wheelies and hopping off holding the bars. Quite moving to stumble upon my old bike from childhood. I'm Robert Payton. I was born in 1959. Delighted.

Something you don’t run across to often
Great story ,great bike and a small world !

mark

Back