20" Sears-banana seat,front & rear rack-Help Identify.

Discussion in 'Tricycles, Kid's Bicycles, Riding Toys' started by happyharry1958, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. #1 Posted Aug 7, 2017

On Training Wheels

2. #2 Posted Aug 7, 2017

On Training Wheels

Picked this up for five dollars. I'm trying to get some info on it. It looks to be in decent shape, the sprocket, chain, rear hub and wheels work. Of course the tires are flat and dry rotted. The troxel seat is in good condition. I've looked through google images for one like it but no luck, however it might be missing a top bar. There is a bracket on the front headtube and a bolt hole on the seat tube..maybe a tube was bolted on there? I'm not really in to bikes or necessarily have any plans, I just thought it was a deal for 5$
    Thinking about putting new tires on it and would like to put higher handle bars on it. Any help on identifying it or advice on repair is much appreciated.

3. #3 Posted Aug 8, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

Sears 1963 Convertabike

Photo below is from 1962 Sears catalog, sorry I don't have the 1963 catalog to post image from.
    * 1963 - first year for oval nameplate
    * 1963 - last year for luggage racks on this model.
    * 1964 - last year for the riveted crank sprocket.
    * Catalog pictures and descriptions for all of 1960's do not show a banana seat as being original equipment on this model. I suspect the banana seat is not original to your bike. Seat may have been changed around time of purchase or somewhat later to update the bike.

Sears1962.JPG

4. #4 Posted Aug 8, 2017

On Training Wheels

Thanks Man!

5. #5 Posted Aug 9, 2017

On Training Wheels

Surprisingly the Semperit tires were in good condition and held air no problem. I just cleaned it and tightened it up....Looks and works pretty good!
    I need to find or make the reversible tank tube? Also, I would like to add higher rise handle bars but the tube is smaller??

IMG_1709.JPG

6. #6 Posted Aug 9, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

here is what the center bar sould look like you can have this one for $30 shipped 100_4483.JPG

100_4488.JPG

JimK likes this.
  7. #7 Posted Aug 9, 2017

On Training Wheels

IMG_1724.JPG
    Thanks for your reply Bob, and I would be interested. But, I'm not sure if that matches up with the front bracket, it looks from wear marks around the headtube that the original piece was round and there are no holes like on yours. I'm definately no expert but maybe I'm missing something. If I had a pic or diagrahm to verify the tank part and fitment, I would buy your tank. I will keep researching, thanks again man!

8. #8 Posted Aug 9, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

no prob just keep me in mind