When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Bikes in Department Stores; Walmart...

-

West is the Best

Look Ma, No Hands!
I thought it was kind of interesting the kinds of bicycles that are being marketed in our "department stores" these days. I took this picture in my local Walmart...
image6.jpeg

We've got the cell phone rent-a-bikes all over downtown Charlotte now, just in the last six months. They're ugly and people leave them everywhere, like litter. The only advantage I can see is they're a private venture, so the city didn't have to put up any money. At least, I hope the city didn't put up any money....

I went to WalMart shopping for rims and tires for a bike that does not need anything vintage or correct. they need to sell some bikes with aluminum rims painted crème with red pinstripes. these bikes are cheaper than a set of cheap wheels by themselves... lots of odd colors and few in just aluminum.

We've got the cell phone rent-a-bikes all over downtown Charlotte now, just in the last six months. They're ugly and people leave them everywhere, like litter. The only advantage I can see is they're a private venture, so the city didn't have to put up any money. At least, I hope the city didn't put up any money....
We are having very similar problems over here in Oxford.
Three different operators with their own machines, left wherever you like. They've even been left on the roof of a bus stop!

They have 'em in Davidson too. Silver with orange 'mags'. pretty dang ugly if you ask me!

I really would like to find another Walmart Stingray, I know I know it's not a real Schwinn, but I got it brand new for $55 a green one and my nephew and nieces rode the tires off of it and I sold it a few years later for $150, and didnt even feel too bad.

We are having very similar problems over here in Oxford.
Three different operators with their own machines, left wherever you like. They've even been left on the roof of a bus stop!
I saw a report on T.V. that the problem has gotten so bad in China that some cities are impounding these bikes and the companies are trying to find a way to "penalize" people who leave them in "improper" areas.

Back