When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20ish Excelsior build - comments to complete

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RPower

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am finishing up a 1920 something Excelsior "Rustoration" and would like comments that will help make the bike as close to actual as I can get it. The bike started life as an Excelsior built Elgin and came with everything except the saddle, crank, gooseneck, pedals, light/tube and one of the tires (can't remember which). I had no choice but to paint it as there was less than 10% of the original red paint and it was covered in 4 layers of differing house and spray paint. The wheels had two coats of paint as well and I am still working on the clean up. I tried to keep some of the quirks like the "custom" rear fender braces and have a few known issues as I try to complete it. So, I am soliciting all forms of feedback to get it right. Harsh criticism and are ridicule welcome!

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Nice bike.
About the Sears “Elgin” — so was the bike understood to have had, at one time, a Sears Elgin head badge and sprocket, or with an Excelsior head badge and Davis #6 sprocket as shown?
Either way, still looks good!

Nice bike.
About the Sears “Elgin” — so was the bike understood to have had, at one time, a Sears Elgin head badge and sprocket, or with an Excelsior head badge and Davis #6 sprocket as shown?
Either way, still looks good!
Thanks! It came with no crankset or head badge. You had identified it as an Excelsior built Sears based on the head screw distance and rectangular paint over pattern some time ago. I finally got around to doing something with it. Are ND Model A/M hubs correct for this build?

Back