When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22T S/A cog info please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I purched mine from Niagra Cycles! If the dated stamp on your hub does not matter, I can trade you one of my hubs with a 22 tooth cog on it, for an even trade!

Last edited:
2:1 is your limit, I'd say. I have a 23 on my '63 Raleigh Sports wit the original 48 in the front and it's pretty perfect. On another bike I have 46x20 and I really like it.

Sturmey Archer's advice was not to go past 2:1, the claim being it caused accelerated wear on the internal transmission parts. I've never personally been able to verify whether that actually happens. I've gone as large as 24 teeth in back (2:1 with the 48 in front), but found the gearing too low to be useful. The 24 will indeed help you on the taller hills and with the extra weight of the full-equipped roadster though if you're in an area that has serious hills. I like them just a little higher - 48F/22R; 46F/22R; 44F/21R etc.

Nice shape AW 3-spd sturmey. Looks just like a1954 I just sold. All (Edit--MOST) of these 3-tab sprockets will work on your hub. It has a snap ring holding the sprocket on, and not threads. Most of these cogs are dished, so along with the two cog spacers, there is room to adjust your chain line a bit when the bike is put together.

Last edited:
Back