When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$24.00 fee added to UPS & FedEx

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
does ebay charge tax on what they charge you for shipping?
Yes they do..total BS

On the Ebay discussion forums;
According the tax page Ebay has posted, tax is on tangible goods. Shipping is not tangible goods
I never thought about this... might be a reason for some "free shipping" sellers to go back to listing shipping charges separate. Lowers the tax cost for their buyer.
If the state to which the item is being shipped considers shipping to be taxable, eBay must include it in the calculations when collecting tax for that state.

Last edited:
does ebay charge tax on what they charge you for shipping?
Of course they do! It has made them VERY wealthy! They actually don't want to be bothered with sellers of vintage anymore. Pain in the neck. They want to service huge stores selling many multiples of the exact same item. Those packages don't have calculated shipping issues. Most is free shipping. That is what the general population wants, demands, and expects!

lot of reasons not to use ebay,and if the guyer doesn like it u hve to take it back,a local guy here sold a hood ornament for $1100 guy was able to send it back,only problem there was only a stick in the box,after alot of tryin he was out the money,u cant open the box when the shipper gets 2 u,nother friend sent a new hokey jersy woman got permissionto send it back but not b4 she cut it all up

lot of reasons not to use ebay,and if the guyer doesn like it u hve to take it back,a local guy here sold a hood ornament for $1100 guy was able to send it back,only problem there was only a stick in the box,after alot of tryin he was out the money,u cant open the box when the shipper gets 2 u,nother friend sent a new hokey jersy woman got permissionto send it back but not b4 she cut it all up
Lots of horror stories out there. Hard way to make a living. Stay in school guys!

Maybe the real reason for the price increase is to cover their insurance claims for the bikes that are damaged due to both companies poor handling practices. Now they can really handle the boxes poorly and still get paid. Law of averages the bikes that make with out damage during shipping cover the bikes that get smashed during shipping with the fee increase .

Last edited:
I don't have an account with any shippers and have no idea how to come up with a label if I'm asked to provide it. The one time a person used their account and I just packed it for them and dropped it off they said they wish they had just used the post office, it was more than they thought it would be (and it wasn't a bike, it was an integrated amp).

I'll bet you've never shipped a 1950s round 14" picture tube...

UPS and Fedex raise their rates every year. Every year! The reason they charge more for oversized/weight packages is the simply because the take up more room and require more work to handle. Imagine two bike boxes loaded side by side in the semi trailer they travel in. That’s a lot of cubic space for just two packages. They think how many smaller packages would have fit that same space and see a loss in shipping profits. So I can see them recouping the loss by the $24 surcharge.

Shipped over 300 complete bikes over years from $20k to $200 only one was ever damaged and they paid the $12k claim (twinn60)and we got to keep the bike the buyer and I split the parts worked out in our benefit ...... i sent a bike to be delivered by another hobby member the frame got bent at the head tube I had to eat it 35Aristcrat it is still floating around hobby sold 2x since .... I prefer paying for the insurance

That really sucks. As a guy that does this as a hobby and ships a lot of bikes every year and uses that money to buy expensive parts for bikes in my collection — well that’s just crap.

Back