When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

24 inch wood rim

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hi all,
I'm looking for a 24 inch (600 size) wooden wheel rim.
Preferably for a tubular tyre, but would consider a clincher type, if 600A size (bead seat diameter of 541mm).
Preferably 36 holes, but 32 also considered.
Must be useable/repairable.
Please PM me if you have anything that may be suitable.
You must be willing to ship to the UK.
Thanks for looking.
Darren.

Last edited:
Or a complete wheel, or a narrow rimmed steel rim, or steel clad wood rim would also be considered if suitable for 600A size.
Thanks.

Or a complete wheel, or a narrow rimmed steel rim, or steel clad wood rim would also be considered if suitable for 600A size.
Thanks.
Hello Darren, I think I might have a lead for what you are looking for. I was also in the same position a while back; I needed a wood rim for 24 inch tubular tire- I have a 1915 Emblem Boy's bike that was missing a wheel. There is a seller on ebay in Rhode Island who recently came across what appears to be a hoard of new old stock 24 inch wood rims. He might have 20 of them, and also some smaller sizes. They are actually 21 inches diameter, but with the tire they are a 24 inch wheel. I don't know if he would ship to England, but it might be worth asking. Here is the catch. I bought a rim from him that was greatly discounted because it was cracked but repairable with some good effort; it cost me $34 plus shipping for a $100 total. He might still have some damaged ones still available, you would have to ask. They also do not yet have spoke holes drilled, they are blanks, you will have to drill the holes. If he does not have a damaged one anymore, he is charging $275 each, plus shipping for a perfect one. I know that is outlandish and a crazy price, but he is the only one that has them. I looked for years for one of these. I understand it is a far fetched lead, but might be worth investigating. Here is the link to his page:

He is not a vintage bicycle person or enthusiast. Another avenue to explore would be to possibly have a new rim built by
Stutzman's Wheel Shop LTD
33656 CR 12
Baltic, OH 43804

Amish wheelwrights, call and leave message because they do not keep the telephone on their premises. I don't know if that would be cheaper or more expensive. Good Luck!

Hello Darren, I think I might have a lead for what you are looking for. I was also in the same position a while back; I needed a wood rim for 24 inch tubular tire- I have a 1915 Emblem Boy's bike that was missing a wheel. There is a seller on ebay in Rhode Island who recently came across what appears to be a hoard of new old stock 24 inch wood rims. He might have 20 of them, and also some smaller sizes. They are actually 21 inches diameter, but with the tire they are a 24 inch wheel. I don't know if he would ship to England, but it might be worth asking. Here is the catch. I bought a rim from him that was greatly discounted because it was cracked but repairable with some good effort; it cost me $34 plus shipping for a $100 total. He might still have some damaged ones still available, you would have to ask. They also do not yet have spoke holes drilled, they are blanks, you will have to drill the holes. If he does not have a damaged one anymore, he is charging $275 each, plus shipping for a perfect one. I know that is outlandish and a crazy price, but he is the only one that has them. I looked for years for one of these. I understand it is a far fetched lead, but might be worth investigating. Here is the link to his page:

He is not a vintage bicycle person or enthusiast. Another avenue to explore would be to possibly have a new rim built by
Stutzman's Wheel Shop LTD
33656 CR 12
Baltic, OH 43804

Amish wheelwrights, call and leave message because they do not keep the telephone on their premises. I don't know if that would be cheaper or more expensive. Good Luck!
Do you happen to have a phone # for Stutzman's Wheel Shop?

Do you happen to have a phone # for Stutzman's Wheel Shop?
Yes, here is the number:

330-897-1391

and remember, leave a message and they will get back in touch with you, from what I have heard. I would bet you could also probably write them a letter. I have never used any of their services, but I am intending to, hopefully sometime later this year.

Back