When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26" 10 5/8" Spokes ; Correct Lengths? Recommendations ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Superman1984

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have read this the common size correct? I am planning stainless steel & maybe considering buying some colored stainless so if anyone has had any issues I'd appreciate input. I think it'd be cheaper to buy 144 spoke kits on ebay as I have a few sets of wheels I would like redone. Is this the best way to go ?

First of all I'm no expert. I think that is a common size for some of the balloon tire bike rims. Never hurts to measure the old ones. Some of it may have to do with the spoke nipples that you use and how they're threaded. I have bought boxes of 100 spokes and nipples from different manufacturers but you end up with an odd number of leftovers. For the lightweight rims the sizing is different. Those will be longer,. Hopefully some one with more experience will jump in.

First of all I'm no expert. I think that is a common size for some of the balloon tire bike rims. Never hurts to measure the old ones. Some of it may have to do with the spoke nipples that you use and how they're threaded. I have bought boxes of 100 spokes and nipples from different manufacturers but you end up with an odd number of leftovers. For the lightweight rims the sizing is different. Those will be longer,. Hopefully some one with more experience will jump in.
Thanks. Everything I own I believe is in the middleweight category ; capable of running 26x2.125 tires on the frames (my preference) with the exception of this 1961 AMF RoadMaster Silver Streak? It has 26x1.75 tires & although frame wise no fenders will clear the 26x2.125 "balloon" tires the fenders their selves are A peaked & will not without rubbing. I guess I have to try to save 1 of these tetanus giving spokes in hopes of it not snapping as they are pretty thin (I think double butted? = thin top next to hub, thinner middle & back to the same size as the hub at the hoop/rim). Last pic is Original Equipment or as I bought it

One thing you'll have to consider is the crossing pattern of the spokes. If you match the old spoke length you have to match the crossing pattern either 3-cross or 4-cross. Some bikes used the same length of spoke front and back but changed the cross pattern because of the hub diameter. Maybe 3-cross in front and 4-cross in back. Get pictures before you tear em down.

The Sheldon Brown site is quite helpful for wheel building:

Back