When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26" S7 front hub cone wear acceptable ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So what does the cup/race inside the hub look like. A whole new hub might be in order?
Seem ok.....
Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 6.18.44 PM.png

As far bearing retainers the two on the right are 3/16-7 bearings I picked up at the LBS just for fun in case they fit and it appears they do. The two retainers on the left are what came out of the hub in question..they look different? Is it possible one has worn or was replaced? Are the hub bearings pretty standard ?
s7frntbearngs.JPG

If the balls measure the same size, put a cage in the hub and test with a loose cone. If the balls run out in middle of the curved part of the cone, and the cages don't drag on anything you are good to go.

Are the hub bearings pretty standard ?

No, and that goes double for Schwinn. Sometimes they made their own. Sometimes to an odd standard. Sometimes they used loose balls. Also, they contracted overseas makers in France, Germany, Japan to make "Schwinn Approved" hubs for them. Axle threads, cones, and cages (or lack thereof) can have a wide variation.

During the early years Schwinn made their own hubs, bearings, cones, races etc. along with using outsourced hubs from different makers like Atom, Union and Bendix. Many times those out sourced hubs came with that suppliers guts and the Schwinn made components may not fit those hubs. That one cage has Schwinn on it and that was made by Schwinn. If their name is on a part, they most likely made it. The Schwinn "Approved" parts are not made by Schwinn and the threading on the axles can vary also. Looks like that hub had a replacement set of bearings and since the hub is Union? I say the retainer with Schwinn on it was the replacement bearings. Just use the new bearings if they fit.

Schwinn used a 26 tpi axle and nut. Most others are 24 tpi. I just bought a complete axle - cones, bearings, axle, washers, nuts, the whole enchilada off Amazon for $11.82. Well worth it. Next question. If some ungreased bearings did this to the cone, what does the bearing surface in the hub look like?

Schwinn used a 26 tpi axle and nut. Most others are 24 tpi. I just bought a complete axle - cones, bearings, axle, washers, nuts, the whole enchilada off Amazon for $11.82. Well worth it. Next question. If some ungreased bearings did this to the cone, what does the bearing surface in the hub look like?
This hub says "Schwinn approved" "Model 200" the axle is 140mm x 7.2mm , (I think its 24tpi by using the Park Tool DC-1 at 1in and counting threads, I could be totally wrong on that) ..Hubs seem good,
frhub1.JPG
front hub 2.JPG

Back