When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26" S7 front hub cone wear acceptable ?

-
Now I'm really confused. I thought the model 200 was the one with M1.0 metric threads and dust covers that pound into the hub rather than onto the cone.

EDIT: Nope, that one is a mystery.

Also, it looks like that Schwinn 50127 bearing is for a Bendix front hub...

Last edited:
Two other clues I should add, the axle says 'Schwinn Approved Germany 58" on it. And although the threads work, they look like they are slightly crossed by metric/SAE mismatch.

If it's a Schwinn approved axle, it's a 26 tpi. My thread gauge doesn't even have a 26 tpi piece. The only way to really tell would be to take the axle to the hardware store and see if it will thread into the 5/16 x 24 gauge.

If you're going to be messing with old Schwinns (or any old American made bike) it's time to stow the metric stuff and drag out the SAE stuff, including you ruler. 5/16" front axles, 3/8" rear axles - length in inches. Spoke length, seat post diameter, handlebar diameter, tires, pedal threads, all the threaded items in the crank assembly, et al. It's time to regress into yesteryear.

Last edited:
I was just going thru this parts page and noticed that the Union hub uses (all) different parts than the Schwinn hub. The Hub that is pictured is said to be Schwinn Approved but sometime before this was printed, maybe late 1961 early 62, Schwinn outsourced there own hub that they had been making for decades. If the part numbers cross, that would indicated they will interchange but I don't see anything that interchanges. If I'm not mistaken, the Schwinn axles, nuts and cones are 26 tpi. and the Union is 24 tpi.
Years ago I won a huge lot of axles, nuts, cones and washers on eBay and there was nothing in that lot that I could use on the Schwinn Script hubs All my bikes have the Schwinn script front hub!

1608527195193.png

I know that this is getting a little off track but looking at the Front Hubs and Parts L8st I see part #3203 Bearing cup for Schwinn Approved - is that a replacement cup for a front hub? If it is, where does one find a pair of them?

I know that this is getting a little off track but looking at the Front Hubs and Parts L8st I see part #3203 Bearing cup for Schwinn Approved - is that a replacement cup for a front hub? If it is, where does one find a pair of them?

Yup, on the old Schwinn script front hubs and others made by Schwinn the bearing cups was replaceable. Maybe Charlie Harper on the SBF can help you out with those. ;)

If you're going to be messing with old Schwinns (or any old American made bike) it's time to stow the metric stuff and drag out the SAE stuff, including you ruler. 5/16" front axles, 3/8" rear axles - length in inches. Spoke length, seat post diameter, handlebar diameter, tires, pedal threads, all the threaded items in the crank assembly, et al. It's time to regress into yesteryear.

I'm pretty sure the "Schwinn Approved" hub on my 61 Speedster has metric threads. It is the German hub that looks like a real Schwinn Chicago hub, but isn't. In any event, it turns out it is not the same as spleeft's hub so it isn't really germane to this thread.

Back