When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26X1&3/8 tires best fit

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sam

I live for the CABE
Question: what is the best 26X1&38 tire for a non-hook rim? Or in other words what tire in this size fits rims the tightest?

Which if the 3 sizes are you looking for. 26 x 1 3/8 590 BSD Raleigh and department store bikes. 26 x 1 3/8 597 BSD post WW2 Schwinns and some Raleighs. 26 x 1.375 BSD. pre WW2 light weights including Schwinns. BSD is bead seat diameter. Roger

Last edited:
Question: what is the best 26X1&38 tire for a non-hook rim? Or in other words what tire in this size fits rims the tightest?
Yeah, in the bike tire world 26 x 1 3/8 and 26 x 1.375 are not the same

The 590 size. Who makes a 589--ha ha. I just need the tightest fitting 590 made.

I haven't tried all the different 590 tires out there, but I noticed the creme-colored Schwalbe Delta Cruisers were always tighter fitting than the Kenda or Panaracer tires I've used. I actually found them too tight - really hard to mount and remove on the Sun CR-18 rims I was using at the time. My experience at least.

All tires fit differently, even when marked the same size. The 26 x 1-3/8 (590bead) tires are made by many manufacturers. I saw this tire below on ebay, and wonder if it is true.....1.75 wide. Electric bike based, but this seems pretty wide, and the only one I have seen in 1.75" width...I wonder if it is a typo..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cst-Premium-Classic-Breaker-Tire-Cstp-Classic-Breaker-26x1-75-Bk-bk-Sc-apl/302341020484?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20160323102634&meid=b2fdf62751bf429ea372f4949fa2bba6&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=372655609454&itm=302341020484&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of putting 700c rims on the old lightweights- Alloy rims are much easier to come by and you have a wider variety of tires and can go much lighter and skinny. It may not be the main intent of this collectors forum-sorry- but they fit. If you need to change brakes around generally good inexpensive alloy calipers with shorter reach are out there. It all means a potential substantial weight savings on what are usually not bad frames.

below- 27 x 1 1/4 with 3 speed coaster from Schwinn World onto an old Hercules- tighter fit still more than 700c- note fork clearance
DSCF2318.JPG

I haven't tried all the different 590 tires out there, but I noticed the creme-colored Schwalbe Delta Cruisers were always tighter fitting than the Kenda or Panaracer tires I've used. I actually found them too tight - really hard to mount and remove on the Sun CR-18 rims I was using at the time. My experience at least.
Thanks SirMike that's what I'm looking for. The rims I have are vintage Dunlops but seem to run small and are straight sides. So the Schwallabes night do the trick

Back