When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26x1.375replacement

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you guys. I took a few more pics today.Would this be made for Elgin? Both front and back hubs are Elgin.
631D1CBF-2010-483F-AC6E-0354F023A10B.jpeg

B883E5C9-7488-408E-8390-9F777EDFA67D.jpeg

D8EF4AF3-A9D1-4B00-9DD7-4DA62B43EADF.jpeg

DCB9D37A-BCC4-48CD-8962-5FE029BACA0E.jpeg

837C5F3F-0A9F-4A31-927F-78874D7BE628.jpeg

243849AB-37B1-40C7-B7CA-E03E75E5DCCA.jpeg

F91DC908-A58D-4C9C-BD02-872B956672F4.jpeg

4A627BCD-F6E3-4E6D-B57B-CC771AB47C1A.jpeg

2D391877-5C07-4DD7-9261-55DBE3A88C7C.jpeg

Sorry, had to edit my original post. Your down tube lettering looks just like the lettering on my Columbia. I shouldn't try to guess the rest. More pics of mine at this link:

Last edited:
Correct that it is a war-era Westfield. They're good, basic bicycles. The rims are 599mm bead seat diameter, which is the old 26 x 1.375 size. Old Goodyear tires with diamond treads make a nice period addition, but be careful about riding on them, especially if they're cotton chord. A modern substitute that usually works is the 597mm Kenda tires made for Schwinn rims. A complete teardown and refresh is in order for a bike of this age, paying special attention to bearings, hubs, brakes, any moving parts.

Hi @Goldslinger , it's a very nice match for your J3 G519.

thanks @3-speeder for letting me know of this post.

To add a little to what @HUFFMANBILL has already said.

This is an interesting bike because, as Bill said, after the badge was deleted, Westfield used W to designate a civilian bike made by them between late 1942 and the end of 1944.

This particular one is the first survivor I have recorded using a W stamp, and was probably built into a bicycle in December 1942. It's also the only one known from 1942 so far. The last frame that year was 112858, prefix letter unknown (could have been W or MG).

J7 means the frame was made in July 1942, then stored until December for manufacture. Another Lady's Sports Tourist VG296 model, serial number G85657 is known with a J7 frame, and this was built up almost immediately around July/August 1942 (@Bozman )

Yours was delayed, because the next contract of Columbia G519's started construction and had priority, so from August to late December 1942 only G519's are recorded. In late December 1942 through to May 1943, there are a sprinking of civilian W bikes amongst the G519's, then G519 take over nearly full production again until October 1943.

Just before the production of this bike, there are several examples of October 1942 (J10) G519 having their numbers stamped with an inverted W rather than the correct M at the start of the serial number. This implies the stamp was out on the bench already, and either being used by accident, or as a substitute for an M.

The grips are nice, not military, but moulded using the military green Tenite CA resin. Must be very rare indeed!

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Goldslinger , it's a very nice match for your J3 G519.

thanks @3-speeder for letting me know of this post.

To add a little to what @HUFFMANBILL has already said.

This is an interesting bike because, as Bill said, after the badge was deleted, Westfield used W to designate a civilian bike made by them between late 1942 and the end of 1944.

This particular one is the first survivor I have recorded using a W stamp, and was probably built into a bicycle in December 1942. It's also the only one known from 1942 so far. The last frame that year was 112858, prefix letter unknown (could have been W or MG).

J7 means the frame was made in July 1942, then stored until December for manufacture. Another Lady's Sports Tourist VG296 model, serial number G85657 is known with a J7 frame, and this was built up almost immediately around July/August 1942 (@Bozman )

Yours was delayed, because the next contract of Columbia G519's started construction and had priority, so from August to late December 1942 only G519's are recorded. In late December 1942 through to May 1943, there are a sprinking of civilian W bikes amongst the G519's, then G519 take over nearly full production again until October 1943.

Just before the production of this bike, there are several examples of October 1942 (J10) G519 having their numbers stamped with an inverted W rather than the correct M at the start of the serial number. This implies the stamp was out on the bench already, and either being used by accident, or as a substitute for an M.

The grips are nice, not military, but moulded using the military green Tenite CA resin. Must be very rare indeed!

Best Regards,

Adrian
[/QUOTE
Adrian

Do you think they used the Elgin hubs , because that is what they had? Thanks for all the info. That is fantastic. It is not in the best of condition but I think this winter I will take it apart and service it . My daughter and I will clean it up and keep it as a survivor. What are your thoughts for cleaning it wd 40 or the oxalic bath? I thought the grips didn’t look quite right. I love the OD color. Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge.

Adrian,
You are correct about the inverted W being used rather then the correct M on Columbia G 519's. For 14 years I worked with a company that handled the testing of various size and types of gas cylinders. After testing the cyl. they would be stamped with a month, year and tester's ID. We had a multitude of metal stamp numbers and letters for use on the steel and aluminum cyl's. At times we would use a 6 stamp for a 9 or vis versa. The W stamp could be used as an M. This was done either by error or because a particular stamp had been misplaced. My point is it does happen.

Regards,
Bill

Back