When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26x1.375replacement

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldslinger

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking for ideas for replacement tires for my daughter’s war era Elgin sports tourist. I know they don’t make the that size anymore.

Good Year .. One is new old stock and probably prewar(no NYLON on side ), the other good usable post war (NYLON on sidewall). $60 shipped.

I doubt you will find a better deal than the pair offered by ivrjhnsn, but just for information on the subject, here is a link:

If her bike is like mine then you'll want to get some new Kenda K-23s. The rim size is a 599 and these tires are 597s but fit well. They are what I have on my Elgin wartime lightweight. Here's mine and the link to the thread.

This is the bike I picked up last week. Anybody know what year this is? It has military grips. And men’s Torrington 8s.
7DD394CB-A471-4091-BA01-2E0199B1D23E.jpeg

3EE7AE9F-4775-468D-9C8F-8F555E39CA9B.jpeg

9A504DE5-9137-457F-A5D4-3244817F21BE.jpeg

EF58718C-5041-4443-ADFE-BD548FB31ABB.jpeg

That is a Westfield built bike. From my understanding the J 7 code above the serial number would be the seventh month of 1942. Is there a ghost of a round Columbia headbadge? Cool looking bike. Nice that you have the original saddle on it and some black-out parts.
@Mercian would probably like to see this one.

3- speeder is correct that the J7 would be seventh month ( July ) 1942. July is the month that the frame would have been manufactured. After a 3 month freeze on the sale, but not production of bicycles ( late March through June 1942 ), the war production board (WPB) allowed the sale of bicycles with many restrictions to resume in early July 1942. Westfield was one of two manufacturers, the other was Huffman, that were allowed after Sept., 2, 1942 to cont. producing bicycles. The other bicycle manufacturers could by special appeal be granted authority to produce limited quantities. Your serial number W105355 would indicate that this particular bike was completed most likely in the last quarter of 1942. My guess would be Nov. or Dec. One of the restrictions placed on the bicycle manufacturers in Sept., 1942 was that any bikes produced could not show indication of the maker. That is why your bike is missing the Columbia head badge. It was never attached at the factory. Some frames that were produced prior to Sept., 1942 but not used until after that date will still show the two tiny holes where the badge would have been attached. Most frames made after Sept., 1942 would not have the badge attachment holes. Westfield and Huffman were allowed to use the letters W ( Westfield ) or H ( Huffman ) as the prefix letter to the serial number. Evidently, military model Westfield and Huffman made bicycles were still allowed head badges on those bikes, which were however, painted over in OD from the factory. The chain guard is not original to this bike. There would not have been a chain guard on civilian bikes from the factory during the period that your bike was produced.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Back