When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

27 X 1-1/8, 1-1//4 same as 700c?

-

borgward

Finally riding a big boys bike
I ordered inner tubes from Amazon for Raleigh Record and Schwinn World Sport. Both had flat front tires. More on that later. What they delivered was https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AAYBI2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. I immediately noticed the tubes had an ID much larger than the 27" wheel. WTF? I used them anyway and they seem to work out OK. Earlier I had replaced the rear inner tube on the world sport which I bought in town. It's i.d. was about the same as the rims o.d. so I was confused by how much larger the i.d. of the new tubes were than the rims o.d. The printing on the tubes did say for 27 X 1-1/8, 1-1/4. I looked on the box and that's when I saw 'also for 700c.

About the flats. I had just aired up our cars tires to spec and continued to the bikes. Both had only 25psi in the front tires so I aired them up in stages to 90 psi. I heard a pop on the Records front tire and I thought that was from the tire. It seemed to hold air and I rode it a few hundred feet. I returned to ride it 15 minutes later it and that tire was dead flat. I removed the tube to repair it, but it was too far gone. it had come apart along the mold lines and was oozing with green slime (it was an old bike I bought recently} Does Slime deteriorate innertube rubber?

The tubes we sell at our shop, both Giant and Bontrager, fit both 700c and 27” tires per the sizes on the box. There is a specific 700c thats is labelled for both 700c and 27”, likely one of the wider widths, say 30 to 35mm.

I’m running said 700c tubes in all of my old 27” tires without problem.

As Juvela pointed out, 700C =622mm & 27" = 630mm............THE NATURAL ELASTICITY "stretch" OF RUBBER MAKES IT SUCH THAT 700C and 27" TUBES of somewhat similar width sizes WILL INTERCHANGE PERFECTLY. You do know that the 650 tire (THAT IS THE ea-1 SCHWINN only 26 x 1 3/8 37-597 tire with bead sead diameter of 597mm) ----AND--- the 650a tire (THAT IS THE ea-3 COMMON BIKES 26 x 1 3/8 37-590 tire with bead seat diameter of 590mm )
As you see that ALTHOUGH THE TIRES THEMSELVES Do Not Interchange, THE INNERTUBES ARE FUNCTIONALLY THE SAME!! ----you see that the eight or seven millimeters of difference is NOTHING when the "STRETCH" of Rubber tube is accounted for. (ASSUMING, OF COURSE THAT SAID WIDTHS ARE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT SIMILAR!!) ----

I don't believe that SLIME has any detrimental effect on innertube rubber, as it has been used by folks in riding lawnmower innertubes and in smaller farm equipment for decades. That might be the biggest market demand for SLIME. It has proven to be a great product for what it does. It cannot revive an ancient rotted out tube, and it cannot be expected to seal a thin rubber tube that is inflated beyond reasonable limits which then bursts or splits due to a combination of repeated friction on sharp & not smooth surface edges within the inner wheel.

As for why, that you wish to take your tire PSI , all the way up to 90 PSI ?? Perhaps your favorite Eagles' song is "Take It To The Limit", or perhaps Sammy H's still unreleased outtake of " I Can't Ride 75 ".
....Blowin out tubes in the hot sun, I fought the tire and the tire won.

As for why, that you wish to take your tire PSI , all the way up to 90 PSI ?
Pasela Panaracer on the World Sport says keep inflated to 95 psi on the sidewall. CST Super HT on the Raleigh Record states 90 psi on the sidewall. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about. I've always ran high pressure on 27 X 1-1'4 bike tires.

Why would I run a lower pressure?

The Record supposedly had been in storage for a very long time - dry rot?

A problem that I have seen with some multiple-size-fit tubes is during installation.
Sometimes a partially inflated tube seems too-long peripherally to fit inside of the tire, and one has to be careful to not let the tube fold over itself.

I was careful to make sure that did not happen. Wallymart the other town over only had tires marked 700c. We don't have a bike shop in our town. its a 60 mile round trip to Austin. In the past I only found one shop that stocked true 27" X 1-1/4" inner tube.

75#. Who came up w/that number? Corporate legal or bean counter? I find a lot of Schwinn publications to be inaccurate. 75 will work. I did use about 65 psi until they repaved our road. I believe my World Sport came with Paselas as advertised. I usually go with the tire manufacturers Spec regardless of what the vehicle specs are. In one document Schwinn says to adjust pressure to road conditions and riders weight. Any idea what Schwinn suggested for 1961 Continental. As I remember I used 90 psi when it was new. Wonder what Raleigh recommended for the Record.

"Locate the Recommended Inflation Pressure on Your Tire. Every tire has a maximum inflation recommendation (usually in PSI or bars) labeled on the side of the tire. This number tells you how much air your ... bike needs. ... Riding with your tire pressure too low can lead to pinch flats."

Back