When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

27 X 1-1/8, 1-1//4 same as 700c?

-
I have seen many ads that say 700C and 29" are the same.
I can believe that, at least for the tubes Amazon sent me. As soon as I unfurled them their i.d. was so much larger than the 27 X 1-1/4 wheel that I can visualize it fitting a 29" wheel.

I can believe that, at least for the tubes Amazon sent me. As soon as I unfurled them their i.d. was so much larger than the 27 X 1-1/4 wheel that I can visualize it fitting a 29" wheel.

I am just starting to look at the 29ers. Then there is Hydraulic disc brakes😅

Not sure if anyone covered this yet, but I am willing to bet that your tires blew off the rim because you have non-hooked rims, which are only reliable to around 65 psi (no matter what the tire is good for), and you inflated them to the limit. Either that, or the tire wasn't properly seated on the rim, or had a bit of tube under the bead.

Pasela tires are some of the best 27" tires made right now, but many older 27" rims can't handle as much pressure as a modern nylon casing tire can, and really, I'd bet money that the bike rides better with 60 PSI anyhow. Here is a link to Sheldon Brown discussing hooked bead rims, and another article that gets really deep on tires, with loads of good info and citations.

Funny to me that so many modern rims are going back to hookless, though most modern hookless rims are carbon and for tubeless applications, and actually measure a bit bigger than their listed BSD so that tires fit tight...though now that I think about it almost all of my new school hookless rims have pressure limits in the 30-40 PSI range. My main bike has hookless rims, and I'm running Rene Herse switchback hill ultralight tires at around 28-34 PSI tubeless, and I've never had faster tires on any bike ever.

From what I’ve seen with these cheap tubes is the tube will expand to any diameter you want. Go for it, put some air in the tube before you install it and look at it.

I finally got into the big city to a bike shop. I bought TERAVAIL brand tubes. Bought them before. Standard. 700 20-28, 27 X 1-1/4, ISO 20/28-28-622/630. Schrader. Made in Taiwan. 1 Bike has this brand on one wheel. Holds air for a long time. The Bell brand I got from Amazon to put on the other wheel, made in china, looses pressure in a weeks time down to 25 PSI. So much for chinese tubes.

Back