When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28" Reproduction Tire for 700c Clincher Rim

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Do we need a Singletube alternative in 700c?

• Screw it, Only original will EVER do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to bump this thread again.

If you haven't replied to it and are interested in seeing a 700c reproduction happen, please give your input.

I need to have some sort of documentation to show a manufacturer the potential for their investment in this endeavor.

Now that we have at least two wheel manufacturers making wood rims, and the option of Velocity P35, I think a manufacturer could make a decent buck on these.

Incidentally, Universal tire is selling their semi-pneumatic black buttontreads for $118/each.

A bunch of us here in So Cal were just talking about this very subject, being we ride our antique bicycles not display em.I'm using Velocity P35s which are now called Blunt35s and Amsterdams,and would love to ride on white button tread (or the others) clinchers, 5 pairs for me
Cliff

I would definitely be a customer if someone could actually do this.
My choices would be:

Size/tread 1.5" / Chain or the semi smooth TOC style/ button tread
color Black / White or cream
would buy At least 3 to 4 pairs just for starters
Ideal price $150 pair

I also agree that we should put a bug in the ear of the Velocity people about Blunt 35s in Teak again.

My 2 cents

<"))))><

Last edited:
I would buy - 28" white, all orange/red or with white side wall 1.75 sizing in studded tread (button tread) Will pay $100. each

It doesn't cost that much to produce these tires in China.
Most tires are made there already.
They may cost $100.00@ but they could be made to hold 100psi.
Wooden wheels can easily be reinforced with carbon fiber laminates for holding the higher pressures. The Italian wooden wheel makers are laminating there wheels with CF.
Some of the independent bicycle makers could use 28" wheels if tires were available.

Newbie question

I just got a 1920s Hawthorne Flyer itch 28" rims, I'm not to familiar with these type of single tube tires.....so what are my options to getting my bike on the road again?

28 Inch tires

I Agree with Bri at the start of the tread..... but I just want to add my 2 cents here.....

Most of us here know our options at this point when it comes to tires and wooden rims.

For wooden rims there is Noah Stutzman - He will make a wooden rims to meet your specifications ( if you are willing to wait ) and he also makes the clincher rims with metal inserts for higher tire pressures. He is just a little difficult to get a hold of - nothing that cannot be solved by letter writing. Secondly, there is CB Italia ( though, they do not do a Carbon insert and you are limited to lower tire pressures for clinchers ). The third option is Ghisallo.... they do make a Carbon insert for clincher rims and you can use modern tires at higher pressure with these. The other option is the P35 / Blunt modern rim.

For Tires - in original format we are very limited. Richard Dean makes the most ridable reproduction tires....pneumatic tubular and limited in colour. Coker is also there along with Universal. Most modern tubulars work well. For Clinchers - most people choose the Electra Amsterdam & Schwalbe Delta Cruiser for a 700c fit. Others include CST Super HPS, Vittoria Ranonneurs & Zafiro Pro, Mich - Panaracers, Colnago C-50, Vredestein classic, Origin 8 Elimin-8er, Kenda Kwest etc etc...There are a few other options & No names from India. I am sure people will have a much larger list to add to here - these are just some of the popular options.

This said, I found the problem is price point for tires.... If you reach the right price point the Cabe / Wheelman followers are very willing to purchase these. BUT I think you will find that demand is limited. My suggestion is to get an Investment together through crowd funding ( kickstarter, GoFundMe, Etc... ) and see if you can raise the 35 grand needed. I am sure The Cabe / Wheelman followers and many others would be willing to donate. Many people have used this method of funding to get projects started.

I would like to see someone partner with Richard Dean ( in an ideal world ) to make this happen. I would just use Richard for his expertise and advice as it looks like you have already lined up a partner manufacturer. China is also another option for production. I found during my research that India would be an ideal place to do this kind of thing - but you would realllllly need to be hands on at the start of the project. They do both handmade and machine manufacturing and still use natural rubber if you are interested.

But be warned - it is a very small section of the bicycle industry and demand will be minimal...meaning you will not get rich from doing this project unless you are able to find a way to bring it to the wider bicycle industry.

Best of luck - I would buy a few..... I think 150 per pair is fair (but a max price) for most people.

Regards,

Will

28" beaded-edge clinchers in red and cream available

I have 28" beaded-edge/ clincher/ wulst tires in cream and red for $28 per tire.

I use them for my own restorations, but have ordered extra if some of you are interested. Great for getting some of these rides back on the road.

Size: 28 x 1 1/2 (700B)
ISO: 40-635
Max tire pressure: 40 PSI/ 280 KPa
Type: Beaded-edge
Color: Red or cream

More details: http://retrocykel.com/collections/all/beaded-edge-tires

Attachments

• IMG_8072.jpg
    IMG_8072.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8112.jpg
    IMG_8112.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8144.jpg
    IMG_8144.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8148.jpg
    IMG_8148.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, would be nice with a more subtle thread pattern. I mounted a red set today (attached), and it works ok I think to get some of these bikes rolling again. What do you reckon? Some more pics here:
retrocykel.com/products/1940s-hermes-1

I think 27" is for 70s road bikes.

Just so we're all on Sheldon's page I thought I'd slip this in here.

View attachment 86558

For more of Sheldon's info:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Thos 28" tires look pretty nice. I wish the tread pattern looked "older" however.

Attachments

• IMG_8177.jpg
    IMG_8177.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 168
Back