When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28" Reproduction Tire for 700c Clincher Rim

-

Do we need a Singletube alternative in 700c?

• Screw it, Only original will EVER do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iverider

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
It seems that many of us are in search of alternatives to 28" singletube tires on our 28" bikes.

700c rims are a popular solution to getting a bike back on the road, but tire selection leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd like to get feedback in this thread regarding who is interested in a reproduction tread tire in 700c clincher size and what tread they would like to see produced (ie. Chain, Button, Etc.)

In your reply, please state the tread style(s)

Ideal color options.

How many pairs you could see yourself buying

An ideal (but realistic) price in mind as well.

Chain Tread
0000.jpg

Suction Cup
pavacuummcuptires.jpg

Firestone Non-skid
DSCN2107.jpg

Vitalic
5614702061_30950399f6_o.jpg

Button Tread (Fisk?)
ButtonTread.jpg

I'll start with:

Size/Tread: 1.5" Chain, 1.5" Button
Color: Black, White
Quantity in pairs I would buy: 3
Ideal Price <$70 per tire

Please include in your reply only the above four attributes and any additional comments you have on the subject. I'd like to keep the thread as clean as possible. Approaching any manufacturer with this information will be easier if it's organized.

Thanks guys!

-Brian

pavacuummcuptires.jpg

DSCN2107.jpg

0000.jpg

5614702061_30950399f6_o.jpg

ButtonTread.jpg

Last edited:
Size/Tread: Suction cup 1.5", 1.5" Button, 1.5" Chain
Color: White, black
Ideal Price: <$70pr.

Also Brian.

Size/Tread: Suction cup 1.5", 1.5" Button, 1.5" Chain
Color: White, black

Also Brian.

I want to be just like Bri!
Seriously, i feel the same, 3 pairs, chains and buttons (not sure what "suction cups" are)....Oooh, how about the firestone "NON SKID" (Larmo has some OG's) in red with white sidewalls....I'd go as far as $75.00 per tire for those!
Good luck!
Bud

I want to be just like Bri!
Seriously, i feel the same, 3 pairs, chains and buttons (not sure what "suction cups" are)....Oooh, how about the firestone "NON SKID" (Larmo has some OG's) in red with white sidewalls....I'd go as far as $75.00 per tire for those!
Good luck!
Bud

Thanks Bud.... "Suction cups" are kinda like buttons with indentations in the buttons... like an Octopuss(-'n-boots).
bri.

I don't see any of this happening for $70 per pair of tires though. Small scale does not lend itself to economical tire making. It can be done but it strikes me as more costly. People looking to convert single tube rims on old bikes will always be a miniscule fraction of the bicycle market. Even if you brought some more people/bikes into play with clincher tires, you're still talking a niche at best. The best I see happening is a group approaching a maker and having a run of tires done, but it still would turn out to be fairly expensive.

What I do see is maybe a compromise design that is more antique friendly, but would still have some modern features in it. I just don't see the clincher version of authentic chaintreads coming out. If you're willing to compromise and do a "retro" thing, then maybe. You need to somehow grab the wider appeal to the masses of general bikers to make it down to that economical $70 per pair price. I voted yes because it would be great to have them, but I don't see it happening at that affordable price point any time soon. I'd be happy if that proved to be wrong in the end.

Last edited:
Need to get Noah and the Dean fella together and mass produce this stuff....they would put everyone else out of business if they charged reasonalby (which they do)...

Here's my vote:

Size/Tread: 1.5" Chain, 1.5" Vitalic
Color: Black, White
Quantity in pairs I would buy: 4-5
Ideal Price <$70

This is the biggest problem with these old bikes is the tire/rim combo. I think we should also hound Velocity to keep making the P-35 in Teak also since that rim is the closest hoop to a steel clad rim or wood rim.

Size/Tread: Button Tread 1.5" or preferably smooth no tread as most 1890's era bikes had.
Color: White or preferably Light Gray as most 1890's era bikes had.

Your best bet is Coker (who does produce the "NON SKID" for antique MC's) but I agree you would need to prove there is enough of a market to justify having the tooling produced, etc...Best of luck!

Back