When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28" Reproduction Tire for 700c Clincher Rim

-

Do we need a Singletube alternative in 700c?

• Screw it, Only original will EVER do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the button tread in red. Not only does it rhyme, it's what was on most earlier Mead bikes. I believe they were called Hedgethorns.
The chain tread in black would also be nice.

I agree with Nick on the red button tread. I have approached a tire company that mainly produces tubular tires, that way you can have a new tire on your original rims. After all if you are going to go through all the trouble of doing this you might as well do it right. They have a tire that is close in size and would just need the molds and color samples to get going. Oh and also a order for 500 tires and you have to supply the molds. So it shouldn't be a problem to get some tires made for around 35,000.00 to start and I do not see a problem selling 500 tires but it is a bit of an investment. I believe it came out to around 175.00 per set retail. I would think a guy could sell 500 say in black and then do a run in red, then in white. I would also do all of the tires in the button tread because it is the most common and crosses more years of production and you would only have to buy your molds once.

700c repro tires

Size/Tread: Non Skid 1.5", Chain 1.5"
Color: Brick red, White, black
Quantity in pairs I would buy: 2 or 3 pairs
Ideal Price: <$70 pr.

Mike

Size/Tread: either Vitalic 1.5" or Chain 1.5"
Color: Red with White side walls (these seem to appear in numerous vintage pics/ads of bikes from 1910-1930)
Quantity in pairs I would buy: 4 pairs
Ideal Price: <$100 pr. but I would be willing to fork over $150.00 per tire if someone would make 700 cc exact replicas

My alternative right now are cream Electra Amsterdams. Have 2 project bikes in the works, both 1930 model Westfield made bikes in Columbia Carmine paint with white head tubes/darts that the red/white combination would really set off.

I'd prefer chain, I'd like to also see smooth, but I'll take anything! I think $150 a pair is reasonable. Black first. I would buy lots over my lifetime and I'd take 5 sets immediately if not sooner

newbie question here,but does a 700c rim fit 28" tire??need to change my rear hub,or go with new rims.............

Have a look at Sheldon's site. What type of "28 inch" tire are you talking about. If you have a singe tube type rim you cannot use a 700c clincher but may get away using a 700c tubular

sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I agree with many here....I would like to see many variations, but white, or grey buttons, suctions,

and/or plain/no treads would be my first choice(s). There is a dearth in the market for these tires

and somebody needs to step up to the plate. I think $70-95 a tire is more realistic.

We would buy at least five pairs right off of the bat.

Back