When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28" rims new!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wonder how the painted rims would hold up with brakes. I got the cream tires and the would be so much better with black rims.

I believe those are 635mm. The old 28" wheels for your tandem are equivalent to a modern 700c which are 622mm. Those rims are also for rod brakes only. I bought a set of Velocity Blunt 29er (700c) disc rims and had them powder coated for my '41 Iver Johnson that originally had 28" wheels. I found some decent cheap all black tires for them. The alternative is to find an old set of steel clad or all wood rims and then buy expensive repro tires.

Jim

Last edited:
There is someone in the latest Wheelmen newsletter selling new wood rims also. Noah Stutzman 330-897-1391. $80 each

info might be a bit erronious(sic?)

I believe those are 635mm. The old 28" wheels for your tandem are equivalent to a modern 700c which are 622mm. Those rims are also for rod brakes only. I bought a set of Velocity Blunt 29er (700c) disc rims and had them powder coated for my '41 Iver Johnson that originally had 28" wheels. I found some decent cheap all black tires for them. The alternative is to find an old set of steel clad or all wood rims and then buy expensive repro tires.

Jim

what makes them for only rod brakes?
id assume that a coaster brake hub with 36 holes would work
naysay holds no water for diy'ers
i personnally have a pair and they work&fit perfectly

Rod actuated stirrup brakes pull the brake pads up against the underside of the rim rather than pressing them against the side of the rim. These rims are designed so they will function with stirrup brakes but can obviously be mounted to and used with a coaster brake or a fixed hub neither of which use the rim as a braking surface.

As for size, they are marginally larger than the original spec 28” rims and tires used on American bicycles. The difference is approximately ½’ in diameter and they will probably fit most American 28” frames without any clearance problems. The size difference is visibly noticeable though, especially when the larger wheels are used on fendered bikes so, in that respect, they are not a perfect substitute.

Relax, I wasn't trying to discourage any diy'ers. The rims are clearly made for rod brakes, you can lace whatever you want to them, obviously a coaster brake hub would work. I didn't make that clear.

There is someone in the latest Wheelmen newsletter selling new wood rims also. Noah Stutzman 330-897-1391. $80 each

Noah was walking around with his wood rims at the last spring Memory Lane meet and they looked awesome! He can make them out of most species of wood, and hole drillings.

The tires for 635s are a bit smaller in size than the old single tube 700s---kinda evens out when using them on old American bikes.Aloy rims are also a plus as they weigh less.Drum brakes on your tandem would also be good,or at least one on the front.

Back