When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28" rims question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
J

jdbrewster

I recently purchased a 1935 Columbia N9T Mitokibe from eBay (I'm posting here because of the wheel size). I got literature from Ken Kowal which was a huge help. Originally the bike was a 28" wheeled bike. My question is what would the original rim have been? All steel? Drop centered? Also are there tires available??
I've only ever owned balloon tire bicycles so this is new to me.
I'm also on the hunt for a tank for this bike.. It was the cylindrical battery tank which powered a stem mounted head light as well as a EA labs pancake horn (also missing).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Both steel(tin)covering wood,and all steel rims were used by columbia.My guess would be the wood clad(steel covering)Rims. These early American 28" wheels were of the size modern 700s glue on tires are made in
and very fat modern tire like the ones made by tufo will fit these rims----BUT---they will not be correct. There is a small machane company in Dunbar W.Va that still makes the correct tire.They DO NOT HAVE A WEB ADRESS!
You still have to phone them for an order.How old fashion can you get!
Harper Machand & Manufacturing
Dunbar West Va.
phone#304-768-1147
You need a good set of wood rims first---then call and order your tires----good luck(PS both rims and tires cost big)

neat bike; but good luck finding correct fitting tank. they might be out there but it will take a while to find. the horn is obtainable at 250 to 350 on ebay. make sure it has the correct bracket to hold it. the horn button is rare and light will take time also but obtainable.
mark.......

If you don't already have it, the Classic Bicycle News' Columbia book 1931-41 has some great info in it including a half page illustration of an N9t. Looks like it came with US Royal Chain whitewall tires, which I've never seen any that weren't severly deteriorated. Blackwalls seem to hold up better on those.

Back