When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

28s just aren't for me. Part 3 Tire size

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ZE52414

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
image.jpg
So I have a set of wood/clads that are restored to fit a modern sized tire. The 28x1 5/8 or 700c x45c work fine on the wheels but rub on both front and rear on the fenders. So I bought a set of 28x1 1/2 or 700x38 and I'm having one hell of a time trying to get these smaller tires to work. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks for helping:)

Tires measure outside diameter by width diameter. 28 minus 1-1/2 twice you rim 25" and 28 minus 1-5/8 twice your rim is 24-3/4

IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4673.JPG
They measure 25" but the 1 1/2 aren't even close to fitting. They are wood/clad wheels that have been converted to run modern tires. It may become a wall hanger before to long. lol. Thank you for helping me out.
Tires measure outside diameter by width diameter. 28 minus 1-1/2 twice you rim 25" and 28 minus 1-5/8 twice your rim is 24-3/4

Did you ask what size tires these were modded to fit? Keep in mind that you should be going by the ISO & not the fractional size.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Fractional sizes:
Fractional ISO Applications
36 inch 787 mm Unicycles, some novelty bicycles
32 inch 686 mm Unicycles, some novelty bicycles
29 inch 622 mm This is a marketing term for wide 622 mm ("700C") tires.
28 x 1 1/2 635 mm English, Dutch, Chinese, Indian Rod-brake roadsters
(Also marked F10, F25, 700 B)
622 mm (F.13) Rare Canadian designation
28 x 1 5/8 x
1 1/4 Northern European designation for the 622 mm (700 C) size
27 x anything except "27 five" and 609 mm Dutch 630 mm Older road bikes.

700 x 38B are slightly bigger (40-635) as opposes to the 700 x 38c (40-622).
They fit on old British 28 x 1 1/2 rims, but may be too big for your rims.
That makes sense. Thank you. So I need to find me some 38c!

Did you ask what size tires these were modded to fit? Keep in mind that you should be going by the ISO & not the fractional size.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Fractional sizes:
Fractional ISO Applications
36 inch 787 mm Unicycles, some novelty bicycles
32 inch 686 mm Unicycles, some novelty bicycles
29 inch 622 mm This is a marketing term for wide 622 mm ("700C") tires.
28 x 1 1/2 635 mm English, Dutch, Chinese, Indian Rod-brake roadsters
(Also marked F10, F25, 700 B)
622 mm (F.13) Rare Canadian designation
28 x 1 5/8 x
1 1/4 Northern European designation for the 622 mm (700 C) size
27 x anything except "27 five" and 609 mm Dutch 630 mm Older road bikes.
Well the description said he bought them for a bike and they didn't fit. I just looked at the size and thought maybe they were smaller and looked like what I needed. Turns out they are a bit to big! Thank you for the chart!

I think a lot of us have done something like this at some point. ISO is the way to go!

That said, if your wheels are anything like the wood wheels on my Iver, I had a hell of a time getting Linus tires on them. It was the hardest time I ever had with anything having to do with bikes and I've built a number of very custom bikes. If it ever gets a flat, the bike will end up hanging on a wall!

image.jpg
I think a lot of us have done something like this at some point. ISO is the way to go!

That said, if your wheels are anything like the wood wheels on my Iver, I had a hell of a time getting Linus tires on them. It was the hardest time I ever had with anything having to do with bikes and I've built a number of very custom bikes. If it ever gets a flat, the bike will end up hanging on a wall!
Mine have been modified to run a modern tire:) now that I know what size I need it shouldn't be real bad...hopefully

Mine are, too. Sorry that's as clear as the chemicals in a portable toilet at an outdoor music festival—they're CB Italias, replacing the original single-tube wheels. Could have been the particular tire, too, but it's tough finding tires with a tread pattern that looks appropriately old.

Back