When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 grand?? I don't get it, what am I missing?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you Shawn for answering the original question of this thread. This is the first response that accomplishes that request and I believe there are a group of us that appreciate you taking the time.

I am in agreement with @bikewhorder and would love to hear a good response about the quality/grade of period tires. What would have been on these rare high end, standard grade, and low end bikes? What are considered the the best? I am ready to send back the Carlisle tires that I bought from Bobcycles that he promoted as rare and great!?!? :eek:;)

Kindly,
Brant
oh oh bobs been busted

Ok, good to know, thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for old ballooners with good parts. Maybe I can quit my day job. I'd have to list my finds on Ebay though because here I'd probably accidentally ask for 1/3rd their actual value. ....and before you send me hate mail, No I would not strip original bikes for their parts - I don't do that. I'd sell the bike whole and let someone else do the dirty work ;)
Dude, don't quit your day job, the best way to make a million dollars collecting bikes is to start with 2 million.....

Boy was I wrong, I thought it was the chain wrapped around the handle bar that was rare. All jokes aside, it is a great looking bike.

Thank you Freqman1 aka Shawn (and others) for the explanation. I think I get it now. I looked up CWC and found that they started out in 1936, so this 1937 bike and the boys' version ($18,000 - are you kidding me?!!) is like finding a Wayne Gretzky rookie hockey card. This bike is not that outlandish compared to others of that era, so I imagine that it's sought after by those collectors who want to have one of each kind of early ballooner in their collection, and given the rarity of these ones if they want to have "the complete set" they need to shell out for the rare ones. And so given the rarity, I will not quit my day job - thank you Springer Tom. I have to confess that I share the obsession of the "complete set" collectors in that I am trying (although it's a fantasy) to collect at least one of each make of all the pre 1960 bikes ever made in Canada. Here is a pic of my closest Canadian equivalent of that $3000 Roadmaster, a Sunshine Waterloo. It has original everything including tires, but I added the saddle and the plate. Cost me $180 CDN, which is what, like $135 US? (yes I know, boring Canadian bike with no tank and no lights). Now you can see why I was so dazed and confused seeing the 3g price tag:

SunshineOriginal1950.jpg

Is thi
Isn't it amazing how a simple bend in metal can add so much value? Take away the bent seat tube, pedal arms and the bike becomes kind of "normal" looking. I don't doubt the value of the bike.. it's the whole supply and demand thing, but the only cool part to me is the curved crank set. But hey, if you have the money and want it, buy it:)
I've heard of a curved crank set where the curve straightens out when you get up and stand on the pedals. This lengthens the crank arm giving more leverage, thus an effective lower gear. Anybody got info on one of those?

Back