When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 speed bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My favorite riders for sure.
7880pair.JPG

watch for older sears lightweights,most have the sachs 3 speed hub
I believe they went to the Sachs hub sometime in the late '60's. Before that, they used Steyr/Styria hubs marked "J.C. Higgins" or "Sears". I have some of both. The great thing about a 3 speed is when you come to a (moderate) hill, it's no problem. Ease off the pedals, flip the switch to a lower gear and keep going. A low gear is slower, but it still beats pushing the bike uphill! Of course, if there aren't any hills where you ride, then a single speed is adequate. Utilitarian, even.

I agree with 'Rusty Klunker'; my only complaint about our beloved 3's is the cables. But I guess it just adds to the character of these old girls.
More shots of my 56 Herc.; bought her out of storage, rubbed off surface rust and grime, replaced chain, oiled, greased, pumped up the tires (sorry, "tyres") and off we went!

View attachment 925096

View attachment 925097

Do you know what that silver dent (disk) in the red bike's fork is used for? A key unit for a locking fork. I have never seen one. Never take apart an English 3 speed unless you are ready to hit yourself up the side of your head later.

I have a variety of 2 & 3 spds. w/ coasters on all my riders. There is no going back. Sheldon Brown has some really good info. on them. When salvaging bikes for 3 spd. hubs, I've found that some of the pre- Nexus ones can be problematic, as the Sturmey AW can be too, though I think that the Sturmey 3SC is golden.

Back