When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 speed SA quadrant shifter and AWC hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

beachcrab

Look Ma, No Hands!
anyone know if a sturmey K 3 speed quadrant type shifter will work with a sturmey AWC hub? looking to mount a shifter on the top tube and i like the look of those old shifters

I think it should. I have AW hub with 3-speed quadrant shifter (1948 Schwinn Continental).

An original, generation 1 AWC will work with a typical, round-faced quadrant (the AW/K common quadrant). These are the ones with the domed faces. These shifters were meant to work with the traditional AW hub and the model K hub. They also work for the TCW III hubs that are an old AW with coaster brake.

Round faced AW/K unified shifter:

sa-jpg.jpg

There is an earlier quadrant with a flat face made specifically for the K hub. They predate the unified AW/K quadrant and appear with both black and plated faces. These are uncommon in the US. I've never tried one with an AWC, but in theory they would work. I would stick with the domed type unless you have a period 1920s-30s bike that needs a K gears quadrant.

The older "K gears" shifter.

vintage-sturmey-archer-model-gear_360_a627aea840bef7d808169e61cc7f3524.jpg

pic-630-s.jpg

Sunrace made some changes to older Sturmey designs, so a new generation AWC may not be the same as an older, British-made AWC. I haven't fooled with a new-production AWC, but be warned it may not work on some hubs that Sunrace has modified.

Back