When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30s Rudge "Fast Sport" yard sale score

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JOEL

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Keep on hitting those yard sales folks, and always, ALWAYS ASK !!! The guy had some cool old stuff, couple of newer bike parts. I held up a seat and asked if he had a bike to go with it. He said no, then "Well, there IS an old vintage bike in the basement that I probably ought to sell". A few minutes later he wheeled this out.

Looks like the 1936 Sport ad on Classic Rendezvous website to me. Has an early Miller generator with jeweled taillight, flip-flop fix/free hub, glass reflector, drop mustache bars with celluloid covers, "Fast Sport" printed above the badge. Any info appreciated.

Attachments

• DRudge88.jpg
    DRudge88.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DRudge87.jpg
    DRudge87.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 227
  • DRudge84.jpg
    DRudge84.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 257
I go every week, scores like this don't happen that often. I buy all kinds of bikes and about 40% of the time when I ask at a yard sale, there is a bike available. About half of those are resellable.

Joel,I have a rudge catalog,I'll dig it out in a day or two.And scan you any thing that looks correct.The brakes and bars are very nice!What size are the rims? Are they chrome or stanless?

The rims are chrome and have a center stripe. They are narrow box type rims, not the wider roadster style. The tires are 26". Front fender is a replacement off a Raleigh, rear is correct.

Here's the ad from Classic Rendezvouz.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/rudge/rudge_1936.htm

I found this 1939 catalog on the web. The No. 67 Sports model is close but guessing mine is an earlier model (brakes, bars different. generator is an earlier non-theftproof version with a slightly different shaped housing).
http://1939rudge.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
26x1 38" or 26x1 1/4"?
Those bars were made by a fellow called Lauterwasser. Not sure if I spelled that right. Hard to find.

The tires on there are 1 1/4. The rims look like they might take the smaller size.

Joel,I found my catalog but it's late 50s /early 60s.Your bike is 30s so My catalog is no help,only shows a Sports light roadster.I have a cd on Brown Brothers that should show the bars and brakes.
BTW Rudge was taken over early on by Raleigh,and became one of the 3 top brands(Raleigh / rudge/or humber) sold by raleigh.

Take a little bronze wool and WD40 or PB Blaster to those rims (and all the chrome) not steel wool as that will scratch. I bet there's a size engraved in the rims. If they say 26x1 1/4 then you can get the Schwinn 26x1 3/8 and they'll fit. Standard english 26x1 3/8 won't.

Back