When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30's Saddle Puzzle Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ditchpig

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm sure these saddle parts could be used in a restoration. When I found this on the bicycle it had a wooden seat pad instead of what I believe should be two plate steel pans that sandwich together.
I'm asking if any folks know what (year, model, men's woman's?) parts I've got and if I could fashion new seat plates from sheet metal. Maybe there are patterns for that? Not even thinking about the leather yet.... Any help/experience/advice greatly appreciated!
Kryn

20211227_121056.jpg

20211227_121140.jpg

20211227_120842.jpg

Might be able to adapt some modern new leather saddle-seats to fit the old hardware; the key might be the front bolt feature, as modern versions come in a couple different designs for attachment.

Thanks Archie, I've had some thoughts along those lines but I'll try rebuild it with a fabbed seat pan that I can securely run the 3 bolts through and go from there. Unless I can find a couple of matching pans, but that's wishful thinking.

The reprint Island Cycle Supply catalog lists a lot of ca. 1937 saddle parts- you can get some ideas there. Many saddles has a wooden base with a felt or horse hair pad sandwiched between two pieces of leather. Double pan saddles came a long a little later.

The reprint Island Cycle Supply catalog lists a lot of ca. 1937 saddle parts- you can get some ideas there. Many saddles has a wooden base with a felt or horse hair pad sandwiched between two pieces of leather. Double pan saddles came a long a little later.
Thank you for the link! Good to know. I will do some further research.

Put this 'Frankenstein' saddle together with some parts that ChopEsurf kindly sent up to me.
Might stretch a leather cover over it in the future but suits the rat it's mounted on right now..... why don't they make these anymore? Maybe they do. Rear suspension!
Looking at it now...I likely have the saddle assembled incorrecty...need to find an image of something similar....front coil should probably be on top of the frame rail....rides fine but will try change it.

20220404_142425.jpg

20220404_142358.jpg

20220404_142338.jpg

Last edited:
Your seat wouldn’t have had the double pans. Only the single.
Without the original to duplicate you can estimate the size and shape and make one.
Not too hard to do.
Here’s a pan I made from 18 gauge metal.
(The one without the extra holes).
I formed the edges with a pair of pliers then fine tuned with a ball peen hammer. I used a bead roller for extra strength.

Your seat wouldn’t have had the double pans. Only the single.
Without the original to duplicate you can estimate the size and shape and make one.
Not too hard to do.
Here’s a pan I made from 18 gauge metal.
(The one without the extra holes).
I formed the edges with a pair of pliers then fine tuned with a ball peen hammer. I used a bead roller for extra strength.
View attachment 1601126

View attachment 1601127
Thank you for the inspiration . First; That's a work of art! Wow! Thanks for posting those great shots. If I hadn't connected with Chris (ChopEsurf) I would have tried to fab a similar seat pan. That would not have turned out half as professional as yours. I do think the original for this saddle was a wooden 'pan' with a very thick leather cover. But I'm very happy with this cobbled combination.....it's a hodge podge fit for a rat bike.

Back