When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'34-36 Shelby Motorbikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A new member with my first post. McCauley # 1000 square tank.
The serial number was double stamped, seven digits, no letters; represented to me as a Sears Elgin.

What I see from the pictures thus far is mostly 5" head tubes with tall tanks, (or 3-1/2" room for same).
A few 5" head tube frames look to accommodate a more typical 2-1/2" tank (toolbox).
And there is also one 3.5" head tube (short frame), which looks to accommodate a more typical 2-1/2" tank.
No examples shown with short 3.5" head tube combined with the 3-1/2" tall tank (McCauley # 1001).

Are the different sizes concurrent, or was there a chronological order of their manufacture and offering?
I had assumed that the tall tanks (double drop bar) were the immediate predecessors to the Shelby streamlined long tanks.

Last edited:
I would think the 'banana' tank bikes were the immediate predecessors to the big tank bikes. V/r Shawn

I need to figure out what to do with the eagle ...

7B5AE06B-290A-41BA-BF01-413151B0FEF4.jpeg

I believe during 34/5/6 there were three different style Shelby moto-bike frames. Most all seem to have pinched seat stays and the square badges. The most notable difference in them was distance between the double top tubes and/or the head tube length. Seems the Big Tank models like Shawn's have the 5" head tube and far apart top bars, the lower bar connecting to the down tube. The low end "Boy Scout" model, had the 5" head tube but close together top bars sans tank. The lower top bar connects at the junction of the head tube and down tube together in one spot. The 3rd version, maybe 34's(?) have the small, 3-1/2" head-tube frame with double top bars close together, not able to use the big McCauley tank but a thinner one. So far that I have seen, there are "G", "H", "K" and "M" serial numbered moto-bike frames from the twenties through 36 or so. The M serial numbered moto frames seem to be sporting the big McCauley-style tanks and the 5" head tube, but there are streamline M frames that were also made later.
Shawns' big tank with McCauley #1
1617124102780.png

This is a great example of a 3-1/2" head tube and small McCauley #2 below..
1617124507957.png

@RUDY CONTRATTI This bike is a recently finished and very beautiful 34 small tank with short head tube.

1617126999280.png

The larger, 5" head tube frame below with close together top tubes. Not intended originally for a tank, but the McCauley #3 may have been made to fit.
1617124818312.png

Last edited:
Maybe a little thread drift here but I'm curious about the Shelby and Colson motorbike frames looking really similar. I just got a '36 Colson and it sure looks a lot like a Shelby to my untrained eye. Were they from the same maker?
Thanks, Ian

Maybe a little thread drift here but I'm curious about the Shelby and Colson motorbike frames looking really similar. I just got a '36 Colson and it sure looks a lot like a Shelby to my untrained eye. Were they from the same maker?
Thanks, Ian
Nope two completely different manufacturers. Shelby-Shelby, Ohio/Colson-Elyria, Ohio. Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast! V/r Shawn

Back