When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 green Colson ladies model, a Mother's Day surprise

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eddie_Boy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A couple of months ago, I bought a bike for my wife. I was talking with Mike @fordmike65 about this bike last Fall. She was advertised on Facebook Marketplace. Being that the bike was in Cleveland, I thought no way. Three months later, this same bike shows up on DOND, and sold for a much more reasonable price compared to the Marketplace ad. I was bummed I missed it. Another three months after the DOND post, I saw the bike for sale here on the CABE. I contacted the seller and she was bought.

I wanted this to be a surprise for my wife for Mother’s Day. The bike was already in SoCal, we had planned to be in the area for our daughter’s Graduate commencement, and the Orange ride happened to be on that same weekend. Just seemed like everything would line up for the big surprise. I asked the seller if he would hold the bike for me until the Orange ride in May. No problem. Now, my concern was making sure the bike rode okay, or at least nice enough for a typical monthly Orange ride. I thought of several members/friends if they could help, then finally I asked Tony @The Hat. After explaining my plan, Tony said, “Whatever you need.” How wonderful is that? I was touched. The bike was delivered to Tony, and I asked that he just make it ridable for that day’s ride. “Don’t spend a lot of time,” I told Tony. But then Tony being Tony, he wanted to make sure she rode nicely, otherwise she won’t like it he explained. Made sense. So Tony goes through the bike, straightens the wheels, checks and lubes all the mechanical, cleans and lubes the chain, and replaces the tires and tubes with new ones. Tony wanted to give her a good cleaning, but I told him I wasn’t sure where I was going with the bike just yet, leave “as is” or thorough cleanup later, until I see her. It was difficult for Tony; I think he wanted her to be more presentable for my wife. I wanted to replace the cosmetically bad bars and stem, so I had purchased a better, conditioned the same prewar ladies Torrington bars, and added a deco Torrington stem. We then dropped off the bars to Tony’s place a couple of days before the surprise. My wife had no idea. She just thought I was delivering parts from NorCal.

So while we were getting ready for our 4 day trip south, my wife asked, “Why are we bringing only one bike? What bike am I riding?” I explained that because this is a Colson featured ride, (thanks Sparky @tripple3 for organizing) and we only have one Colson bike, I will ride our DBR, and Tony will bring a Colson bike for you to ride I told her.

I have been looking for a prewar in green for a year plus. Why green? Because green was my mother’s favorite color. We had lost my mom not long ago, so I wanted to find a green bike in her honor. There were several candidates, but either I was too slow, missed out, or others wouldn’t work.

It was the morning of the surprise. I couldn’t wait. The plan was to surprise her at the Old Town Orange Plaza circle. Tony would drop off and park it with the rest of the bikes. I had already placed a green tape with it saying “In honor of mom, Happy Mother’s Day Mi Amor” Talking up this green girl’s bike, she reads the message on the rear fender, looks at me with a startled look on her face , and I say, “Surprise, Happy Mother’s Day.” Weeks in the planning, I thought, what better way to surprise my wife with a green bike in honor of mom on Mother’s Day. It was perfect.

Why this bike? It’s green, prewar, and it’s in reverse color. Also, what looks like yellow to me (I’m color blind), but Tony corrected me with what Colson calls “straw” color. Other than the original battery tube handlebars and front Delta Hornlite, this girl’s bike has that simple look, no tank, no rack, yet elegant with the deep wide fenders and the drop stand model that I love. Nevertheless, it’s a shade of yellow and yellow is my wife’s favorite color. It’s meant to be. We finally have a green bike for mom and my wife’s first girl’s prewar bike.

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 05.jpg

My surprise message for my wife

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 05a.jpg

Favorite colors of two of the most important women in my life

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 06.jpg

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 07.jpg

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 09.jpg

Looks like she's happy with her surprise

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 10.jpg

A huge thank you to Tony. After lunch at Wahoo’s in Orange, we hook up with Tony again and stopped by his place. Not only did he get the bike ready for us, but also gave us additional items for this green Colson. Tony and I are both fans of riding old tires, and I'm a fan of Carlisle tires. So he gave us rare Carlisle snake belly tires to use on this '36 bike. I’m so thankful to Tony and for all that he has done to make this happen for my wife and me. Thank you my friend. We are both grateful to you as this means a lot. Also, I can’t forget Sparky @tripple3 too, who was in on this surprise from the beginning, and for Santi @Rust_Trader for holding the bike and delivering to Tony.

A Mother’s day weekend to remember thanks to the remarkable hospitality of SoCal CABErs.

Mercedes' Mother's Day surprise 08.jpg

That's Tony @The Hat

Last edited:
it’s a shade of yellow and yellow is my wife’s favorite color. It’s meant to be. We finally have a green bike for mom and my wife’s first girl’s prewar bike.
Awe; so great; wonderful the way, it all works out!
A Mother’s day weekend to remember thanks to the remarkable hospitality of SoCal CABErs.
Yeah, Friday at U.S.C.
The bike was already in SoCal, we had planned to be in the area for our daughter’s Graduate commencement, and the Orange ride happened to be on that same weekend.
Graduate? Please indulge Father Eddie!
Bikes transporting folks together...
mercedes-mothers-day-surprise-05a-jpg.jpg

It's an Honor to know you, Eddie & Mercedes @Eddie_Boy

My wife has been telling me, "Did you fix the green bike yet?" For some reason, this prewar ladies Colson bike rides a bit too close for my wife between the seat and the bars. I could reverse the seat post, but didn't like the way it looked on this bike. Just didn't look right to me. So I took the straight seat post from my Colson and set that up on her bike just to see if that made a difference for her. Went for a ride, and she stated that it's better. Then she mentioned, "Maybe I want to take this bike to the SF ride. What do you think?" "If you want." I said. "Can you clean her up a bit?" she said. Okay love.

So the cleanup begins. It was getting late after I had worked on my granddaughter's bike. The goal was just to break her down, remove everything from the frame. Two days till the big SF ride this weekend. Let's see how I do.

001.jpg

01 breaking down.jpg

01a breaking down.jpg

01b breaking down.jpg

01c breaking down.jpg

01d breaking down.jpg

I'll get back on this as soon as I get the chance.

Nice! Be careful with those pins, they can disappear in an instant. Did a similar clean up on these 36 Colson fenders (which were worse off than yours) with wd40 and 0000 steel wool and came out pretty good. For yours I would try just a wash/wax to see how they respond.

5735246E-CE0A-4D7F-BC4A-B0AE95290EE4 (Large).JPG

FD9FA797-2E79-4CCB-A96A-DB25F5148DD0 (Large).JPG

Hey Todd @srfndoc. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it. Yours came out pretty nicely. As you can see, the painted parts on this Colson, especially the frame and fork, needs serious cleaning. I’ll start with warm soap and water first. They’re a lot of old grease on this frame, so I’m sure it will take more than just soap.

Back