When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

36 or 37 Schwinn paint job.

-
I'm planning on painting my bike some day soon, I'm going to buy a brush and some paint and do my own. all you are doing is straight lines, that is the easy part to master. real pinstripers get big bucks because they can do all the fancy designs. maybe I am extra artsy craftsy compared to normal people, but I think it would be pretty simple.

I'm planning on painting my bike some day soon, I'm going to buy a brush and some paint and do my own. all you are doing is straight lines, that is the easy part to master. real pinstripers get big bucks because they can do all the fancy designs. maybe I am extra artsy craftsy compared to normal people, but I think it would be pretty simple.

Free hand striping isn't something you just do. This takes practice and even a straight line can be a challenge until you master the technique. Unless you desire to learn a new skill or do a bunch of bikes each year it is probably easier--and cheaper to find a good pin striper and have them do it. V/r Shawn

It's not as easy as you think. I worked in the sign business for 15 years. It takes a lot of practice. Coupled with the fact you're working on a curved surfaces presents an extra challenge. Not saying you can't learn it, but it takes time. Painting a straight line on a flat surface is much easier.

^^^ both you guys are making a judgement on what I can do based on what you can do. about 30 years ago I bought some one-shot and a brush at a swap meet and laid a bunch of lines on an old hood, my lines were good, but my design was bad. when I do something artistic it usually comes out pretty good. sure a flat surface is easier, but a 5" long straight line on a tube should be no problem.

Well I've seen the great things that both have done and I would most definitely take any advice that either would offer! For someone that doesn't ever paint(me) I would think that it could possibly be real tough to keep the lines consistent. Does it seem impossible? No but I'm sure it's a lot harder than it looks!

^^^ both you guys are making a judgement on what I can do based on what you can do. about 30 years ago I bought some one-shot and a brush at a swap meet and laid a bunch of lines on an old hood, my lines were good, but my design was bad. when I do something artistic it usually comes out pretty good. sure a flat surface is easier, but a 5" long straight line on a tube should be no problem.
This is what I can do. This was done about 15-20 years ago. Please do not even suggest I am not capable of striping or my knowledge is lacking on this matter. Please feel free to post some samples of yours.

This is what I can do. This was done about 15-20 years ago. Please do not even suggest I am not capable of striping or my knowledge is lacking on this matter. Please feel free to post some samples of yours.
IMG_20170609_124759258.jpg
IMG_20170609_124805415.jpg

Pardon me but I wasn't judging anyone. I'm saying that it isn't as easy as you would make it seem. The OP can certainly go buy paint, brushes, etc... and give it a go himself. I'm just saying that, for most, it may be easier and cheaper to find someone to do the work.

Back