When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Though the locking fork did come with an AS original key, it was not the same number as the tumbler, AN60, wouldn’t turn. Called Tyler @mr.cycleplane about the locking fork. “Bring it up,” he said. “We can remove the fork plug and take a look inside.” I have since ordered and received the keys from Wes @WES PINCHOT. Thank you Wes. With the newly cut key, I was able to turn just a tad and it took a lot of effort to do so. Didn’t force it, so I sprayed a little WD40 in the key hole and in the chamber. I let it soak overnight. Tried again the next morning, I was able to turn the tumbler even more but not yet all the way. Kept doing this throughout the day, and eventually, I was able to turn the tumbler all the way to lock position and back. Awesome and another good news with this old girl. The more I sprayed WD, progressively easier to turn.

Here's the best news about this. Tyler sent me an email with a picture earlier that morning. He had found an original aluminum AS Yale key number AN60, the same number as the tumbler. What are the chances? Then we traded original AS keys. Crazy cool. Thank you Tyler.

14 tumbler not turning.jpg

15 AN60 key.jpg

16 Wes' key worked.jpg

Concentrated on these old pedals. They came with this old girl, and so I will use them. After several days of soaking in PO, I was able to loosen and remove the last two nuts. Play is very slight, so it’s not bad at all. Removed all the crud using parts cleaner and just on the bearings, no heavy wipe down of the pedal parts.

17 breaking down the pedals.jpg

18 cleaning the pedals.jpg

19 cleaning pedals.jpg

20 Reassembly.jpg

New white lithium grease for the bearings and assembled. These pedals may not look all that great, but they actually spin pretty well, better than I thought. Happy with the results.

22 pedals all assembled.jpg

23 pedals all assembled.jpg

Last edited:
If you haven't already, soak that key cylinder in Mineral Spirits or good solvent and clean out all that WaterDisplacement-40 and gunk.

The double bar roadster is my probably my favorite balloon tire frame type. It's a very clean design and it is a good rider. My one remaining ballooner is my grandfather's 1936 Henderson double bar roadster. I need to clean and re-grease the bearings this coming spring. I also have some better tires for it.

Back