When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eddie_Boy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
First, a Happy New Years to the CABE family. Glad to be part of this community.

A big thanks to Paul @rustyjones for selling this old girl to me. Great experience dealing with Paul; super cool member here. Received her not long ago and been working on her a little at a time. I’m calling my latest mini project a ’36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster. What drawn me to this bike was this particular Schwinn model. I have always dug these bikes; you just don’t find many around for sale. Secondly, I love the “as found” look in black, in her original condition. The plan is to keep her uncleaned, trying to stay as original as I can, but clean and redo all the mechanicals so she rides nice. Talking with Paul, and though I like the consistent crusty look of the wheels on this old girl, they were rotted. Could I have used them? Probably, but I want straight wheels for the nice ride ability. She will become my most used old bike. The crank was badly bent which caused a slight rub on the drive side chain stay, so the wheels and crank stayed in Mass. Paul offered the much covered in old grease and dirt original front and rear ND hubs, so I those came with me. Frame and fork was in tact; this is what she looked like after I unpacked her.

20210821_120106.jpg

1st Day I got her.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Eddie, this bike couldn't have ended up with a nicer guy. I'm so glad you are the new caretaker of this special bike. I know it's in the right hands now, and hopefully you'll be able to give it all the love it deserves. Please post progress pics!!
Eddie is always the best person to step in as the caretaker of any old bike thats for sure. I have no doubt it will see more quality miles than it ever has.

Eddie is always the best person to step in as the caretaker of any old bike thats for sure. I have no doubt it will see more quality miles than it ever has.
Thanks Chris @tacochris for that. Speaking of "save old tires" I scored a really nice Carlisle WW Lightning Darts not long ago from a local bike shop just 2 miles from home. Very lightly used; still had the center rubber flashes on the tread. Put them on my other old bike, and they actually ride pretty good for older tires; I like these older dart tires. Came with the Carlisle tubes too.

6 Lightning Dart tires.jpg

7 Lightning Dart tires.jpg

8 Lightning Dart tires.jpg

9 Lightning Dart tires.jpg

Took a slight risk with this girl being that this bent Wald 3 stem was stuck. I’ve heard horror stories of over tightening these stems, which could damage the fork steering tube, hence an expensive fork repair or in search of one, a one year only straight back locking fork in original black. Didn't matter; she's a DcurvedBR. When I got her, the stem was twisted to the right. Unloosened the fork crown nut a bit and the upper headset race and applied more penetrating oil. I did this for at least a couple days. Couldn’t wait anymore; wanted to get that stem off. On the 3rd, day, I went for it a little at a time and throughout the day. Kept applying the penetrating oil and carefully, so not to get on the frame. Didn’t want to change any of that uncleaned finish from the dirt and grime on the head tube. 😄 Busted the stem bolt, which is fine. I knew it was going to happen; you can feel it. After banging side to side and up with a rubber mallet, I was able to free the stem. What a relief.

2 Bent goose neck.jpg

3 soaking with penetrating oil.jpg

4 effort to free up the goose neck.jpg

5 goose neck free at last.jpg

Forgot to mention, since the stem bolt snapped, the barrel was still lodged. Sprayed more penetrating oil inside the stem. Got me a 5” long bolt, and tapped away until the bottom stem wedge dislodged.

10 snapped stem bolt.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chris @tacochris for that. Speaking of "save old tires" I scored a really nice Carlisle WW Lightning Darts not long ago from a local bike shop just 2 miles from home. Very lightly used; still had the center rubber flashes on the tread. Put them on my other old bike, and they actually ride pretty good for older tires; I like these older dart tires. Came with the Carlisle tubes too.

View attachment 1541001

View attachment 1541002

View attachment 1541003

View attachment 1541004
My man! Old tires are where its at! I dont run vintage tubes though but i save em all . Hard to stomach throwing away history.

Good and bad news. No damage to the fork steering tube from the Wald #3 stem bolt wedge. Bottom race was flush all around fork shoulder, so very good news there. Bad news, alignment of steering tube was off. Resolved that with a portable floor jack handle that fit almost perfectly inside the steering head tube, placed in a monster vice, and one quick tug, didn’t take much, and fork was straight again. Super stoked. With a bit of nervousness, it was that simple and able to use original fork without repairing.

11 flush bottom headset race.jpg

Keeping with the original patina theme, going to use her original crusty old pedals. Left pedal spindle is very slightly bent, but not too bad. Right is good. Soaked in Penetrating oil for several days applying multiple times a day. 2 out of the four bolts were loose, but the other two nuts were stubborn. Didn’t want to snap the block shafts, so stayed patient and kept applying PO.

loosening up nuts from block shafts.jpg

Back