When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you haven't already, soak that key cylinder in Mineral Spirits or good solvent and clean out all that WaterDisplacement-40 and gunk.

GTs58, thanks for sharing this. I learned something today.

As stated earlier, the original wheels were left behind asking myself, “What are you going to do for wheels.” @rustyjones did send me the original hubs. I would have liked to use these again and build around them, but it would have taken a lot longer to ride her for the first time. Maybe down the road, I could use these again. For now, I’ll just set these aside. I do like the nickel finish of the original ND front hub.

23a original ND hubs.jpg

I didn’t have a wheel set to use right away. Earlier this year, I picked up a prewar ’37. The entire rear wheel was painted, rims, spokes and even the rear hub. Why? Not sure. Painted erratically it seems, maybe done to protect the wheel from further rusting. That’s how bad the paint result was. The goal was to see what kind of condition this wheel was underneath. Pictures of the wheel before.

24 Removing paint from wheel.jpg

25 Removing paint from wheel.jpg

26 Removing paint from wheel.jpg

27 Removing paint from wheel.jpg

28 Removing paint from wheel.jpg

So the process of removing the paint began. Couple of applications of Aircraft paint remover and a stiff brush and these are the results

29 Paint removed from wheel.jpg

30 Paint removed from wheel.jpg

31 Paint removed from wheel.jpg

32 Paint removed from wheel.jpg

Last edited:
After removing the paint, looks like the hoop’s patina will match another wheel that I had already. The matching rear wheel came from another prewar ‘37 with a G3 stamped Morrow coaster. Last year, this wheel has since been overhauled assisted by our friend Tyler @mr.cycleplane . Thank you Tyler. So it was time to break down the once painted rear wheel, and convert it to a front wheel. But first, soaked the nips with PO overnight. Very fortunate I was able to loosen and break down the wheel and save all the spokes and nips.

33 breaking down the once painted wheel.jpg

34 breaking down the once painted wheel.jpg

36 breaking down the once painted wheel.jpg

37 rear '37 Morrow coaster and wheel.jpg

Planning to use this nickeled ND W front hub for the front wheel build.

38 prewar ND W front.jpg

Last edited:
First, a Happy New Years to the CABE family. Glad to be part of this community.

A big thanks to Paul @rustyjones for selling this old girl to me. Great experience dealing with Paul; super cool member here. Received her not long ago and been working on her a little at a time. I’m calling my latest mini project a ’36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster. What drawn me to this bike was this particular Schwinn model. I have always dug these bikes; you just don’t find many around for sale. Secondly, I love the “as found” look in black, in her original condition. The plan is to keep her uncleaned, trying to stay as original as I can, but clean and redo all the mechanicals so she rides nice. Talking with Paul, and though I like the consistent crusty look of the wheels on this old girl, they were rotted. Could I have used them? Probably, but I want straight wheels for the nice ride ability. She will become my most used old bike. The crank was badly bent which caused a slight rub on the drive side chain stay, so the wheels and crank stayed in Mass. Paul offered the much covered in old grease and dirt original front and rear ND hubs, so I those came with me. Frame and fork was in tact; this is what she looked like after I unpacked her.

View attachment 1540478

View attachment 1540485
What a great looking bike !!!

After cleaning the entire wheel, cleaned and greased the front hub, the front wheel was laced and trued. Gary Quail from Santa Cruz, came up and spent a few hours with me and my family. Gary and I worked on several wheels that afternoon. Mr. Quail is so passionate about anything to do with wheels and it’s components. Like @mr.cycleplane said, he is truly a wheel building master; awesome for me to see him do his craft. The tires are the old Carlisle Lightning Darts that Paul @rustyjones included. I like the look of the very used tires on this project; looks like they belong on this old girl, so I will use them for now. With both wheels straight and true, overhauled front and rear Morrow coaster, this old girl is going to ride pretty nice I think. Overall very happy with this matching wheelset for our ’36 Schwinn.

38a front wheel done.jpg

38b front wheel done.jpg

39 wheelset complete.jpg

This was a few months ago. Gary truing the actual rear wheel from my '37 prewar that I'll use on this '36. While truing, one spoke snapped, then another, then another. After that, we both agreed to have all the spokes replaced, so Gary brought the wheelset back to Santa Cruz.
40 truing the '37 rear wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Back