When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After cleaning the entire wheel, cleaned and greased the front hub, the front wheel was laced and trued. Gary Quail from Santa Cruz, came up and spent a few hours with me and my family. Gary and I worked on several wheels that afternoon. Mr. Quail is so passionate about anything to do with wheels and it’s components. Like @mr.cycleplane said, he is truly a wheel building master; awesome for me to see him do his craft. The tires are the old Carlisle Lightning Darts that Paul @rustyjones included. I like the look of the very used tires on this project; looks like they belong on this old girl, so I will use them for now. With both wheels straight and true, overhauled front and rear Morrow coaster, this old girl is going to ride pretty nice I think. Overall very happy with this matching wheelset for our ’36 Schwinn.

View attachment 1546404

View attachment 1546405

View attachment 1546406

This was a few months ago. Gary truing the actual rear wheel from my '37 prewar that I'll use on this '36. While truing, one spoke snapped, then another, then another. After that, we both agreed to have all the spokes replaced, so Gary brought the wheelset back to Santa Cruz.
View attachment 1546415
Awesome ! Have truing stand will travel - well done

When I initially removed the front fork, bearing cases were shot. Who came through for me again? @mr.cycleplane gave me these additional headset bearing cases not long ago. Thank you Tyler.

41 headset bearing cases.jpg

41a  fork installed.jpg

This was the original crank ring. I insisted to @rustyjones that I wanted that ring, intended to use “as is” uncleaned. So when it was time to setup the crankset, further inspection found bent in one area and dished, no longer flat. Plus the teeth were starting to become shark fins, so this ring will be placed hanging on my fence.

41ab  original crank ring.jpg

When I updated my ’37 prewar with a nicer and cleaner sweetheart crankset, offered and purchased from who else…@mr.cycleplane, I still had the original '37 stamped crank and ring available. Tried to give this crankset away at the @JAF/CO meet back in October. Not one person inquired then, so fortunately for me, I still had it. I almost placed it in the free pile at the end of the meet. My wife even said, “What about this, want to give this away?" Thought about it, and well you know the rest of the story. It’s almost perfect for this project. The crank fit the bill with some chrome loss on the crank ring.

41b, crankset installed.jpg

42 crank drive side.jpg

43 crank non-drive side.jpg

44 crankset and fork installed.jpg

Last edited:
I knew the fenders needed a lot of work just to make them decent. I had asked around locally, but no luck in finding a person who could roll out the fenders. Then Gary’s name came up. Thanks to @rustyjones, Paul rushed to ship the first of two boxes, the fenders and smalls first. The reason, so I can get the fenders before our weekend getaway trip to Monterey, CA. Before our trip, made arrangement with Gary. In preparation, drilled out the rivets and removed the fender braces. Then spent some time straightening out the flat braces. After a 2 ½ hour drive the next morning , arrived at Gary’s place. What a treat to see his cool vintage bikes. Impressive prewar collection of Schwinn and Shelby bikes. Didn’t want them to be perfectly straight, she’s a beater and rider, so Gary casually went to work and rolling out the fenders. . Gary quickly grinded the heads of the new rivets so I can give them a patina look. Helped Gary rivet the braces in place, and we were done, well with that set anyway. A quick work on the tails of another prewar fenders and then we called it good. So a shout out and a big huge thanks to our friend @PlasticNerd for his time on a Sunday mid-morning for my wife and me. Thank you so much Gary. You rock.

1 flat fender braces removed and straightened.jpg

1a rear fender tail.jpg

1b rear fender tail.jpg

2a front fender tail.jpg

2b front fender tail.jpg

3a front fender.jpg

3b front fender.jpg

I’m ready to take her on my first Schwinn DBR ride. Mounted another Wald #3 but straight stem. For my first ride, decided on the patina’ d Torrington 26” wide handlebars, and because it came with her initially. The only decent and very used old matching set were these finger grips, that came from another prewar ’37 Schwinn. Worked out, since one of the original finger grips was not in the best of shape.

44a original Torrington bars.jpg

44b finger grips.jpg

45 She's ready.jpg

I believe we have a name for this old girl. After I was done working on her, I had brought her in our back 3rd room, our office. That way I can look at her while I’m working. My wife comes in, and says, “What’s that smell?” “Probably the old dirt and grease that is still on the bike and I had just lightly lubed the chain,” I replied. After she closely looked at the bike as she is uncleaned, which barely fit in the room, and just enough to walk by, she says “Cochina.” “That's right, just the way I like her," I replied. "Cochina, hmmmm I like that.” That’s what we will name our ’36 Schwinn DBR. "Cochina" in Spanish means filthy or dirty girl, perfect name for this old girl.

Last edited:
Back