When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Love Cochina even more. After a lunch run with the Mrs. to our downtown, what incredible fun. I now know why DBR owners love these bikes; they really do ride well. I’m so thankful Paul @rustyjones sold me this DBR and stoked to have her. More to come. BTW, the crank ring sticks out like a sore thumb. I need to find one not so shiny.

47 Our first Cochina ride.jpg

To have a chain guard on this ’36 DBR or not? I debated that for a while.

Yeah, she’s a narrow fender DBR, so more than likely didn’t come with one. I decided I wanted one anyway. The first person I asked, our friend @bobcycles. BobU has come through for me a few times with smalls prior. I asked Bob if he had any prewar hockey stick guards for our straight down tube Cochina. Didn’t have to be in great shape knowing it’s going on this old girl. After a few days, he sent me pictures of this one. Wanted to see the crank rub damage more closely, so Bob removed the paint from the area. Delighted to see the original chrome under the white paint. I wanted a patina’ d chrome hockey stick anyway. “It’s perfect,” I told Bob. “I’ll take it.” The guard was complete too with original and undamaged brackets and hardware. I’m stoked.

50 prewar hockey stick guard.jpg

Removing the white paint from the guard. Took around 3-4 applications of paint removal, and look what was under. Ecstatic to see the aged chrome underneath.

51 prewar hockey stick guard (removing paint).jpg

Hockey stick guard after paint removed.

51a prewar hockey stick guard.jpg

After giving it a little more patina, this is how the guard turned out. Glad I decided to get a guard; I like added hockey stick guard look on Cochina. Thanks again Bob for coming through for me again.

52 mounted prewar hockey stick guard.jpg

53 mounted prewar hockey stick guard.jpg

Last edited:
This DBR originally had a drop stand. Unfortunately, she didn’t come with one and a fender clip. As @tacochris would attest, I’ve always liked the drop stands on old balloon bikes. I have one on my ’37 Rollfast Motobike Sport, and love that feature. Didn’t have a prewar Schwinn at the time, but middle of last year, I asked BobU if he had any Schwinn drop stands. Why? I just wanted one; I suppose in case I found a prewar Schwinn. So Bob sent me a black painted Schwinn stand with Schwinn clip. Thank you @bobcycles. Now that I have a use for it, I removed the old black paint. No longer in silver cad color, more surface rust and age, it’s perfect for Cochina.

54 prewar Schwinn drop stand.jpg

54a prewar Schwinn drop stand.jpg

54b prewar Schwinn drop stand.jpg

Last edited:
It was time to address the damaged tail of the rear fender. I decided to dock the the rear fender tail. You’ve seen this many times, a fender tear from years of the drop stand when up. There is constant pressure placed on the prewar thin metal. Made a template from another Schwinn short and narrow rear fender and transferred to Cochina’s. I didn’t want to make the fender as narrow at the point as the original shape; the idea was to keep as much metal yet still give it that refined profile. More on this later.

55 ripped fender.jpg

56 nipped and newly shaped rear fender tail.jpg

Back