When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'36 Schwinn Double (curved) Bar Roadster

-
Drop stand is on. I don’t have a correct prewar Schwinn reflector, so decided on this reflector and badge. Thanks @tacochris. I just thought it looked better than just a reflector all by itself. Plus where the reflector is located now gave the fender the added length as original and the fender clip less exposed. I like the look of a drop stand on this old girl. It’s cool, and I’m stoked to have one.

What I do notice though is that with Cochina and her drop stand, she is barely off the ground. Can’t tell by the picture, but the back wheel still turns freely when the drop stand is down. Compared to our ’37 Rollfast, she sits up higher when stand is down. Talking to @mr.cycleplane, the early versions were this way. Probably the incorrect version, but I’m okay with it. Just glad to have a Schwinn stand. I’ll figure it out later; I have some ideas and will make it better.

57 mounted reflector, clip, and drop stand.jpg

59 drop stand mounted.jpg

While I was looking at the newly mounted drop stand, I noticed something and wanted to make a change.

60 drop stand mounted.jpg

60a drop stand mounted.jpg

60b just mounted drop stand.jpg

Decided to change the drop stand position. When the stand is up, the horizontal line of the stand sagged a bit; it wasn’t in line with the rear chain stay. I’ve seen in the catalogs, that some are this way. Removed the chain guard for a better look. Thinking to myself, how it would look better if the drop stand was in line with the lines of the chain stay. So I took a Wald fender clip, and drilled a second hole. The idea is to raise the clip higher hence raising the drop stand at the tail when up. Maybe it was a good idea and another reason to dock the tail length of the rear fender anyway.

Before
61 just mounted drop stand before.jpg

After
61a drop stand re-mounted.jpg

Before
62 drop stand mounted before.jpg

After...much better
62a drop stand now aligned.jpg

While I was at it, I was thinking of the constant pressure of the fender caused by the drop stand when up. For some reason this drop stand sits behind the fender when the drop stand is positioned in the clip. I wanted to strengthen the fender tail. The idea was to reinforce where the clip would go. So I took an old chrome fender, and shaped it to the newly docked rear fender tail. I didn’t want the fender to tear again, so hopefully this will prevent from that happening again. After all said and done, looks much better to me now all aligned. What do you think? Now just have to figure how I’m going to get the rear of Cochina up higher when the stand is down, but that’s for another time.

65 fender clip reinforcement.jpg

66 drilled new holes in fender clip.jpg

67 fender clip reinforcement.jpg

68 final fender clip setup with reflector.jpg

Last edited:
This will be my final update on this thread.

There were three things I wanted to do before I call her good. First, I wanted to position the rear wheel in closer. It was important to me that the rear wheel is centered within the fender opening. Trying to get the right fit, I ended up using a different chain, removing a link on one or adding a link on another, I was able to bring the rear wheel in, centering the wheel properly. No more gaps. Soaked the chain overnight with degreaser, cleaned thoroughly, and lubed.

Second, correcting the drop stand position. My last visit with @mr.cycleplane, I wanted to see how the drop stands on his prewar Schwinn bikes were setup. On Tyler's prewar Schwinn double diamond, I noticed how the lines of the drop stand was in line with the top vertical fender brace. "What a good look." I told Tyler. "I love it." I definitely wanted to replicate that look on Cochina. And after some minor adjustment without any modifications, the stand is now in line. Also by doing this, the rear wheel sits higher off the ground. I think it looks so much better now, wheel centered and drop stand lined up.

As you can see, the rear wheel is not centered
70a Rear wheel not centere.jpg

Picture of Tyler's correct drop stand position on his '35 Schwinn DD
70b proper drop stand position.jpg

First time I setup the drop stand (before)
70c improper drop stand position before.jpg

Rear wheel now centered and correct drop stand position (after)
70d Correct drop stand position.jpg

And lastly, decided to change the handlebar. CABEr and friend offered me a very patina' d killer wide 30” Torrington steer horn bars, thinking this is an excellent match. I’m such a big fan of wide bars, no different from my other vintage riders. Removed the original 26" Torrington bars and mounted these; matched perfectly I'd say. So a big thanks to @ballooney. Thank you Steve. And by the way, had to raise the bars up a bit. On these first year straight back cycle locks in '36, one needs to turn the bars almost 90 degrees to engage the lock. Well with these wide bars, had to raise to clear the seat. Worked out anyway; the position is where I wanted.

71 wider torrington steer horn bars.jpg

71a wider torrington steer horn bars.jpg

Still looking for the correct "footed" Schwinn head badge. Using this Excelsior badge as a temporary place holder.
71b wider torrington steer horn bars.jpg

71c raising the bars to clear seat.jpg

I’d say this Cochina project is done.

I’ve done a few old bike projects, but for some reason, this one was more fun for me. Maybe it’s because the project went without any complications, or maybe it’s because of how she looks, uncleaned, not shiny, no worry, and lastly the “as is” condition look. She’s like our “Sissy”, my old ’54 Chevy 3100. I foresee this old girl, this ’36 Schwinn DBR, will become my new favorite rider. So fun.

I want to thank our friends here, those who were a part of this project. Paul @rustyjones, Tyler, mr.cycleplane, Gary Quail, master wheel builder, Gary, @PlasticNerd, Bob, @bobcycles, and lastly, Steve @ballooney. Thank you gentlemen for your contribution and help making this project so fun for me. Eddie

72 Project done.jpg

A friend mentioned prior picture is too dark. Adding this one. Better lighting.
72a Project done.jpg

Last edited:
Lotta work in this bike-and still more to go? This thread is one of the most thorough projects in this forum I have seen. Fantastic! I always say that each bike presents its own challenge and I am sure Eddie as learned much and others watching this thread can take away a few pointers and avoid a few stumbling blocks! Nice work Eddie-enjoy the ride!

Lotta work in this bike-and still more to go? This thread is one of the most thorough projects in this forum I have seen. Fantastic! I always say that each bike presents its own challenge and I am sure Eddie as learned much and others watching this thread can take away a few pointers and avoid a few stumbling blocks! Nice work Eddie-enjoy the ride!
I enjoyed sharing this project with the community. Thanks Tyler for all the help you have given me on this old girl.

Love Cochina even more. After a lunch run with the Mrs. to our downtown, what incredible fun. I now know why DBR owners love these bikes; they really do ride well. I’m so thankful Paul @rustyjones sold me this DBR and stoked to have her. More to come. BTW, the crank ring sticks out like a sore thumb. I need to find one not so shiny.

View attachment 1548983
Just throw a feather guard on it and they'll never know the difference.. RideOn.. Razin..

Back