36 Schwinn Stem/fork seized! Any ideas

This ad disappears when logged in

ZE52414

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Dec 6, 2016
Peoria, United States
So I grabbed this crazy rare paint scheme b9/b10 in hopes I could potentially save it. Turns out I’m having doubts that this bike is no more than a wall hanger. Anybody have any ideas or tricks.

The fork won’t budge and since I bought it from a one armed guy he chopped the left side of the handlebar off. Lmao
image.jpg

image.jpg

870A2504-C9E4-4129-9846-8B51AC660E20.jpeg

BFA85661-D8DE-44B9-954D-2997E8EAB44D.jpeg

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
I wouldn't be shy with toilet bowl cleaner and steel wire brush to eat the layers of rust off and see what you've got left to work with. That stem bolt looks amazing, maybe you get lucky inside too.

Alternately, After you cut the head post off, then, you can slice it open and retrieve the stem an fork. (What's left of it). [grin]

ZE52414

Dec 6, 2016
Peoria, United States
I wouldn't be shy with toilet bowl cleaner and steel wire brush to eat the layers of rust off and see what you've got left to work with. That stem bolt looks amazing, maybe you get lucky inside too.

Alternately, After you cut the head post off, then, you can slice it open and retrieve the stem an fork. (What's left of it). [grin]
I really want to save the frame:/. In hopes there might be some
Paint left under the super crust.

Brutuskend

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 3, 2011
Eugene / Springfield Oregon
If all else fails, and it probably will from the looks of what you are dealing with. HEAT

Kramai88

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 24, 2016
Minooka IL
Put the gum walls on it.
After you break that fork free on the rust bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WetDogGraphix

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 29, 2015
West Coast
They are both frozen. The stem will not budge, and the fork will not turn. I just got off work so I’m going to see if pb blaster did anything.
I just had the same stem issue on my new 36 Colson LWB project..Bolt broken off, would not budge no matter what I did..(Forks were secured) I messed with it for 3wks with PB Blaster....I'll have to recreate what I did, took 2 hammer hits and it was free..
The fork.....not sure....as far as heat goes, a small propane torch would have enough heat, I think, to loosen the nuts 1 at a time.
I'll get some pics if it doesn't pour rain....

ZE52414

Dec 6, 2016
Peoria, United States
I just had the same stem issue on my new 36 Colson LWB project..Bolt broken off, would not budge no matter what I did..(Forks were secured) I messed with it for 3wks with PB Blaster....I'll have to recreate what I did, took 2 hammer hits and it was free..
The fork.....not sure....as far as heat goes, a small propane torch would have enough heat, I think, to loosen the nuts 1 at a time.
I'll get some pics if it doesn't pour rain....
What. Crazy is the stem bolt looks brand new. It didn’t snap. And the wedge is moving around. I’m going to get the propane torch now :)

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture