When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

36 Schwinn Stem/fork seized! Any ideas

-
Put the gum walls on it.
After you break that fork free on the rust bucket [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both frozen. The stem will not budge, and the fork will not turn. I just got off work so I’m going to see if pb blaster did anything.
I just had the same stem issue on my new 36 Colson LWB project..Bolt broken off, would not budge no matter what I did..(Forks were secured) I messed with it for 3wks with PB Blaster....I'll have to recreate what I did, took 2 hammer hits and it was free..
The fork.....not sure....as far as heat goes, a small propane torch would have enough heat, I think, to loosen the nuts 1 at a time.
I'll get some pics if it doesn't pour rain....

I just had the same stem issue on my new 36 Colson LWB project..Bolt broken off, would not budge no matter what I did..(Forks were secured) I messed with it for 3wks with PB Blaster....I'll have to recreate what I did, took 2 hammer hits and it was free..
The fork.....not sure....as far as heat goes, a small propane torch would have enough heat, I think, to loosen the nuts 1 at a time.
I'll get some pics if it doesn't pour rain....
What. Crazy is the stem bolt looks brand new. It didn’t snap. And the wedge is moving around. I’m going to get the propane torch now :)

Back