When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38-39 Hiawatha Arrow Help Please!

-
EA0EAD6C-60BD-4E3D-8FFC-86794AEBD7D9.jpeg

B2421AE9-9EB7-430A-8698-5F6AB9AFB860.jpeg

735B0F1F-9192-4DDB-82CF-9DECDAF56736.jpeg

CB92D020-D6A9-41F4-9269-686CCFCE2C7D.jpeg

My little helper 😁
C01AB47F-F2CF-4B25-8081-EC7F8098DA3D.jpeg

A352F507-A292-4BF3-B177-A5CA7467802C.jpeg

B4AB8177-FDAB-40A4-9045-B079D5A95515.jpeg

5BA55FD4-58CA-4A8A-B754-1609C0F0E736.jpeg

Last edited:
The handlebars are tweaked in a few locations. I really can’t tell exactly how much and where though so I ordered a new chrome one from the CABE. Not to use on the bike but for a reference part. I will build a few check fixtures from the new bars so that they rests on key indexed locations. I can then take the new bar off and use the check fixtures and see exactly where and how much I need to move the old bars. I’ll take some pics and post them. Luckily I have a lot of straightening experience and the proper tools to do it. 👍

Also, I’ve been wanting to do this for some time now so now is a good opportunity. On a lot of the old stuff I work on if a fastener is messed up you just do your best to replace it with something as close as you can find or go on the hunt trying to try and find a fastener that was made 100 years ago… Like I mentioned before I am a machinist and have friends in about every aspect of manufacturing you can imagine… So, I’m going to take these two stem bolts and micro tig or laser weld them, building back up the material as needed. Then I will re-machine them back down to there correct shape and dimensions. The reason for micro tig and or the laser is I can build the material back up with very localized heating thus not destroying the heat treatment of the rest of the bolt. I’m sure I could find these particular stem bolts but sometimes you just can’t and these are trash anyway the way they are. Let’s see if we can finish her with the same ones she was born with 🙂

Here are the stem bolts now.
Shon

3FD0350C-186A-451D-83E7-B4D18B0F1CDE.jpeg

Hard to stop isn't it? Thank you for for taking those pics as we love images. When I refurbish an older bike, I usually leave small traces of any re-paint on a metal part and even some remaining over the original color. It leaves clues regarding it's history me thinks..🚴‍♀️

Your doing such a fantastic job on this classic ! And you got the "save it" bug which is the most rewarding (and fun as I suspect your finding out) part of this hobby. You see the difference between complete restoration of a tired GTO begging for a new life to run the streets again in pride and early history brought back. Not to go the way of the early rare original paint motorcycles that got bead blasted as soon as found back in the seventies. To each their own, but your doing the hobby right ! Thanks !

Your doing such a fantastic job on this classic ! And you got the "save it" bug which is the most rewarding (and fun as I suspect your finding out) part of this hobby. You see the difference between complete restoration of a tired GTO begging for a new life to run the streets again in pride and early history brought back. Not to go the way of the early rare original paint motorcycles that got bead blasted as soon as found back in the seventies. To each their own, but your doing the hobby right ! Thanks !

Thanks Frank👍 Now if I could just get someone to part with some of the bits I need that I posted in the wanted section 😁 Otherwise I’m going to be stalled here before to long…
Shon

$2,025.00!! Holy moly Batman..

View attachment 1502933
Click to enlarge
Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?

Seller information​

forgotten-years (513 )
100% Positive feedback

ANTIQUE ORIGINAL PAINT SHELBY AIRFLOW BICYCLE FENDERS HEADBADGE REFLECTOR PLATE​

Condition: Used​

Ended:​

Oct 19, 2021 , 4:42PM
Winning bid:
US $2,025.00
[ 26 bids ]
Shipping:
$44.99 Standard Shipping | See details
Located in:
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
I may have to sell mine 🤔 🧐😲

Back