When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38 Manton and Smith

-

30thtbird

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up a few weeks ago now. Have tires, grips, pedals and catalog ordered and in the mail on the way. Already recieved a drop stand for it and a repro lense for the headlight. The badge is Sun Racer H.S.B &Co. Chicago. The crank shaft has M&S 38 on it. That's why I assumed it's a 38. Completely disassembled it (except the spokes) and am working on cleaning and greasing all the bearings. Hopefully will be riding this thing in a couple weeks. Inside the tank was amazing to me. Had the original maroon paint that just shined. The horns battery tray was just dusty, dirty, and covered with mud dauber nests and spider sacks.
I didn't take any pics when I got it home but here is a pic from the listing. Will give updated pics soon.

20220416_211318.png

Picked this up a few weeks ago now. Have tires, grips, pedals and catalog ordered and in the mail on the way. Already recieved a drop stand for it and a repro lense for the headlight. The badge is Sun Racer H.S.B &Co. Chicago. The crank shaft has M&S 38 on it. That's why I assumed it's a 38. Completely disassembled it (except the spokes) and am working on cleaning and greasing all the bearings. Hopefully will be riding this thing in a couple weeks. Inside the tank was amazing to me. Had the original maroon paint that just shined. The horns battery tray was just dusty, dirty, and covered with mud dauber nests and spider sacks.
I didn't take any pics when I got it home but here is a pic from the listing. Will give updated pics soon.

View attachment 1608271
I know you told me about this but I just now found this thread. Man thats beautiful! Using PB blaster, water or something similar and 4/0 steel wool with light to moderate pressure should bring that one back well! Paint coverage looks pretty solid!

I saw that on FB, talked to the seller. It was too far away for me to get but so fairly priced the cost of gas would’ve been offset. He then messaged he had someone who could pick it up. I’m glad the bike was saved and will be together soon. The picture wasn’t clear enough to tell the extent of the rust. Luckily sounds solid enough.

Does look to be consistent with a 38. Those frames make good riders for adults. They have more room between the bars and the seat.

Thank you cds2323. Yeah, they told me a few other people had messaged about it. I found it on CL by accident. Someone else beat me to it and then last minute couldn't make it so they checked to see if I still wanted it.
The story is that a guy in his mid to late teens bought it new and then ended up in WW2 a few years later. At least one pedal isn't original and at least one tire wasn't. Both tires were too far gone to try to reuse.
I have used s.o.s. pads on it to try to at least knock the loose rust off but the color never came back any. I do know that I'm going to clean it up enough to ride it. Probably won't reinstall the chain guard or the basket. The chain guard was an ad on anyway. Just don't see myself doing the full resto that it deserves. Wish I could. Will post more pics soon.

Thank you cds2323. Yeah, they told me a few other people had messaged about it. I found it on CL by accident. Someone else beat me to it and then last minute couldn't make it so they checked to see if I still wanted it.
The story is that a guy in his mid to late teens bought it new and then ended up in WW2 a few years later. At least one pedal isn't original and at least one tire wasn't. Both tires were too far gone to try to reuse.
I have used s.o.s. pads on it to try to at least knock the loose rust off but the color never came back any. I do know that I'm going to clean it up enough to ride it. Probably won't reinstall the chain guard or the basket. The chain guard was an ad on anyway. Just don't see myself doing the full resto that it deserves. Wish I could. Will post more pics soon.
Here’s a 38 . Absolutely love it probably one of the best balanced bikes I own . Here she is as found

7CF54F0D-EBE2-41AF-86A4-C2ADED0FBAFB.jpeg

E1826795-D9F4-412E-87D6-17C38B33CAD8.jpeg

C436C2B2-9C31-4D2A-B80A-0283EF71EB7C.jpeg

5E9AFD83-8179-414A-9939-7E1E85800C46.jpeg

Last edited:
Back