39 Canti with DD

This ad disappears when logged in

markivpedalpusher

Staff member
Nov 10, 2007
Mission Viejo, CA, United States
I agree @sarmis Facebook is flooded with bike groups and people buying and selling all day long I just don't see how you guys have time for it LOL. It's one or the other for me...I pop on FB every couple weeks to say happy birthday but that's about it. Looks like DD fork values are still strong!

sarmis

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 20, 2016
redondo beach
Excuse my ignorance, but was that a deal? I'm guessing so since it sold so quickly.
Fordmike,
I would say a good set of DD forks will get $2000 all day long.

Now then again, you have repaired forks, converted from girls forks, locking, non locking and the fork strut plates that are hard to find if missing. All of these different aspects factor into the value.

I would also say most DD equipped restored bikes are parted together with found forks ?
This fork and frame deal looks like a legit match that some people would covet. That is if the fork and frame stay in original condition and not be repainted.

s

SJ_BIKER

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
why hasnt anyone reproduced these forks yet? looks straight forward....times like these i wish i took up welding/metal shop instead of 3 years of electronics....in shop class....

ZE52414

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 6, 2016
Peoria, United States
This fork was bent real bad as well. I pointed it out to the original seller before the caber got ahold of it.

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
It's hard to tell from the pictures, and although it looks like it's a mate to the frame set, it does look like it may have been cut down from a taller fork.
Usually, there's a short straight section right at the upper end of the fork leg just below the top truss plate.
May or may not be the case.

jacob9795

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sep 21, 2014
Central Valley, CA, United States
I know!
That's exactly why I've never joined Facebook.
It's kind of the same reason why I've never tried Heroin.
With my obsessive/compulsive/addictive personality, it would be a disaster for me.
I just need to focus on what's right in front of me.
I miss actually seeing you, Sarmis. Lol!
The ''Like" button is more dangerous than most people realize.

Shawn Michael

Oct 3, 2012
Keizer, OR
That is eight years older than my oldest Schwinn. Can someone tell me what a DD fork is and why that is worth 2k as is?
Thanks, Shawn in Oregon

charnleybob

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 30, 2009
Omaha, United States
I found one of these back in the 1980's and despite no internet, I had guys from both coasts fighting over it.
I sold the fork for $500 and was happy.
They are kind of weird and you wonder what stodgy old Schwinn was up when they made it.
As for rarity, they would probably be 3rd, with the death bike fork as #1 and the spring Cleveland Welding fork being #2.
Flexmaster 100_2580.JPG

WES PINCHOT

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 16, 2006
CHICAGO AREA
STORIES AND RUMORS ABOUT SCHWINN DROPPING THE FABRICATION OF THE DD FORK
IN '38 WERE THAT THE DD FORK FAILED (CRACKED?) AT THE LOCATION OF THE PIVOT BOLT
ON THE SPRING FORKS. ACTUALLY THE FIRST '38 DELUXE AUTOCYCLE ADS SHOWED THE
DD FORK. THE FIRST DELUXE FORKS DD AND SPRING FORK BOTH CAME OUT IN '38.

SJ_BIKER

Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
so have there been girls forks cut down to fit the boys frames? like to see photos of that being done

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I would think in order to be done right the tops would have to be cut where the yoke is and shortened from the bottom side and re-welded. To be done right would take someone with pretty decent skills. V/r Shawn

sarmis

Aug 20, 2016
redondo beach
I would think in order to be done right the tops would have to be cut where the yoke is and shortened from the bottom side and re-welded. To be done right would take someone with pretty decent skills. V/r Shawn
My take is....
If you cut at the bottom to keep the correct height and to keep the short straight piece at the top, the taper of the girls bike is longer and you will end up with a too small diameter to work with at the cast yoke.

I think this is why a shortened girls DD fork is cut at the top thereby losing the short straight piece.

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture