When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Canti with DD

-
Here are a few pics of DD forks--not mine. V/r Shawn
moto3.jpg
photo-2.jpg
DSC_0174 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0180 - Copy.JPG

I found one of these back in the 1980's and despite no internet, I had guys from both coasts fighting over it.
I sold the fork for $500 and was happy.
They are kind of weird and you wonder what stodgy old Schwinn was up when they made it.
As for rarity, they would probably be 3rd, with the death bike fork as #1 and the spring Cleveland Welding fork being #2.
Flexmaster 100_2580.JPG

STORIES AND RUMORS ABOUT SCHWINN DROPPING THE FABRICATION OF THE DD FORK
IN '38 WERE THAT THE DD FORK FAILED (CRACKED?) AT THE LOCATION OF THE PIVOT BOLT
ON THE SPRING FORKS. ACTUALLY THE FIRST '38 DELUXE AUTOCYCLE ADS SHOWED THE
DD FORK. THE FIRST DELUXE FORKS DD AND SPRING FORK BOTH CAME OUT IN '38.

so have there been girls forks cut down to fit the boys frames? like to see photos of that being done

I would think in order to be done right the tops would have to be cut where the yoke is and shortened from the bottom side and re-welded. To be done right would take someone with pretty decent skills. V/r Shawn

I would think in order to be done right the tops would have to be cut where the yoke is and shortened from the bottom side and re-welded. To be done right would take someone with pretty decent skills. V/r Shawn

My take is....
If you cut at the bottom to keep the correct height and to keep the short straight piece at the top, the taper of the girls bike is longer and you will end up with a too small diameter to work with at the cast yoke.

I think this is why a shortened girls DD fork is cut at the top thereby losing the short straight piece.

Last edited:
Back