When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Canti with DD

-
My take is....
If you cut at the bottom to keep the correct height and to keep the short straight piece at the top, the taper of the girls bike is longer and you will end up with a too small diameter to work with at the cast yoke.

I think this is why a shortened girls DD fork is cut at the top thereby losing the short straight piece.

Here is what I'm talking about. V/r Shawn
dd1.JPG

Here is what I'm talking about. V/r Shawn
View attachment 724170

Look at my wunnerful red highlights ,
If you cut the girls forks at that height as Shawn marked, the diameter of the taper is SMALLER than the diameter where the fork meets the steer tube casting.

You will have a gap between the fork and steer tube casting.

Where the the fork meets the steer tube casting, that is the only part of the fork that is the correct size to fit the steer tube casting, you cut above that, it’s going to be smaller no matter what as it tapers.

98f15f83870475ac748e58737e3a581d.jpg

Not true, Sarmis.
The taller Double Duty forks had a consistent diameter section above the fork crown.
The standard boys fork started its taper right from the junction of the fork crown, so if you make the alteration the way Shawn's diagram shows, there's no difference in the diameter where the taper starts.
It's easier to see with a fork in hand.

Hmmmm, which is better, spring or non-spring? I guess I'm just hung up on functionality over aesthetics. My girlfriend complains about that all the time :).

Back