When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Colson tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That is the same stem I have both front and back and I am sure it is not correct for the rear but it seems to work for now. I have had some complaints from some riders that the rear handlebars sometimes hit the front rider in the rear on sharp turns. I think that would be the reason for the short stem in the rear.

This is the correct rear stem.

8a94fdee-1.jpg

Thats it fuzzy.I have two of those on mine and have seen them on another Colson I saw.

Ok, according to the catalogs from 1939 and 1940 the stems would be as pictured below. Best pictures I could come up with but is not the stem above. I have seen the stem above on a Colson but not stock on tandem. However if someone could come up with some more clear evidence I would love to see it.
1940colsontandem1-1.jpg

1939colsontandem1-1.jpg

I can remember in person exactly what the rear stem looks like. It sure does look the same as a girls 40s Schwinn early standard bicycle one? But the front stem is a Colson exclusive one from about 38-41ish. They have a neat uprise throw is actually pretty comfortable.

Attachments

• f80bd088.jpg
    f80bd088.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Awesome guys thanks i have of each of those stem I have a better idea of which one to use. Thanks for help to all, you guys rule!

Resurrecting an old thread to check on the short rear stems on these tandems. I have a Colson Tandem and the traditionally mounted stem seems to be too close to the forward rider's saddle, and if you swing it around backwards the bars seem too low and it steers awkwardly. I'd like to find a suitable period correct stem with a short reach. The one I have on the bike is about 2 1/4" reach.

Reference photo I found online

TandemSilo.jpg

Back