When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'39 CW Rusty Build

-

Boris

Old fat tired rider
Going to build up this Hawthorne frame with parts I've accumulated. Thanks to @szathmarig for the fork and guard. Got everything down to bare metal and wrapped parts in paper towels soaked in a simple rust recipe and let sit for a day. Going to leave parts outside in the moist air to cure for a few more days. Hoping to see more rust on the frame by then. When I'm satisfied, it'll be a linseed oil treatment for protection. Don't want to get too shiny, so I'm going to shoot for a satin finish. This project's been on the back burner for a couple of years, so I'm happy to finally be getting around to it.

Nice! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
I recently bought a really nice original paint triple step wheelset from @JRE I'll use them, but I think they're going to be too nice to run on this bike for very long. I just want to get this one up and rolling for right now. I'll build a rusty set of drop centers later on. I saw your Fleetwood project, you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I recently bought a really nice original paint triple step wheelset from @JRE I'll use them, but I think they're going to be too nice to run on this bike for very long. I just want to get this one up and rolling for right now. I'll build a rusty set of drop centers later on. I saw your Fleetwood project, you know what I'm talking about.
Let me know if you want to sell them back to.me when your done with them I'm collecting parts for another project.

Back